Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Difference between 40-150mm R and 40-150mm

What is the difference between the R model and the model I have?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2

New cosmetic external design is about all I have noted as being different. Optically, everything I had seen and read says they are identical. Note the different design of ths zoom ring "ribbing" on the R version compared to yours..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks Greg, at least I know mine is not outdated already. Mine has the spaced vertical running grips and I am pretty happy with its performance.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Yes, the original is the same one I have. I also have the 14-42II and picked up the "R" version of the 14-42 (which I have since sold) with my E-M5. The 14-42 "R" has the same new external design as the 40-150 R. Comparing the two 14-42's side by side while I still had both, the older version seemed a little better made. Both are all-plastic but the newer R version just "feels" cheaper in use, which very well could have been all down to sample variation.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone with the original 40-150 or the 14-42II need to necessarily move to the R versions. I say "move" vs. "Upgrade", because I don't think there's any real upgrade to it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:12 PM   #5

I agree, my copy looks a little better made than the kit 14-42II that came wih the camera.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:07 AM   #6

I guess there's a "new" 75-300 coming out too. Hopefully it's a little cheaper, but I'm not holding my breath.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:07 AM   #7

I understand the Oly 4/3 lens in that range is a very good performer. I believe Greg took some shots at a Texas ball game a while back and I thought they were excellent. I can't find the thread so maybe Greg can help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I guess there's a "new" 75-300 coming out too. Hopefully it's a little cheaper, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:45 AM   #8

It will be interesting to see what they do to the updated 75-300. To me the most obvious update would be to seal the lens much like the 12-50 and give E-M5 users a full all-weather "set" covering the 12-300mm range.

Another "fix" would be, after using the 75-300 a while the zoom action loosens to the point when you point the lens up or down the zoom does not hold it's setting very well, creeping in or out. It does not stay where you zoom it like the 40-150 does. I don't know if the better solution is a zoom lock or better dampening of the zoom mechanism. If they seal the lens, the O-ring sealing the moving barrel sections would probably help stiffen things up, much like the sealed 50-200 four-thirds zoom.

I don't imagine whatever they do affects the price much in either direction. The optics are pretty darn good and a good compromise between keeping the lens as small as possible vs. maximum aperture. With the E-P3 and earlier bodies the maximum aperture was limiting due to the high ISO performance. With the E-M5 and newer Pens using much improved sensors the 75-300 is more versatile than it has ever been.

I'm going to be testing that new-found versatility this Saturday night when I go to the Dallas Stars vs. St. Louis Blues NHL game. Taking both the 75-300 and the 75mm f1.8. I may even try a few images with the 75mm f1.8 using the 2x digital TC. The possibility of a 150mm f1.8 is too tempting to not try, even if it means needing to shoot JPEG .

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:33 PM   #9

....I'm betting the digital 2X TC on that lens will be 'awesomely' good.

I

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:40 PM   #10

I hate the feel of knurled materials...why are M4/3 users shafted in terms of quality, no rubber lens rings, no hoods, and no centre-pinch lenscaps?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote