Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Couple of comments:
In shot 2 -- If Ryder did not score then bench the bum or send back to the minors
In shot 6 -- technically an illegal face off with the St. Louis clearly outside where he is allowed to stand. Puck should not have been dropped, and the player kicked out of the face-off circle.

Oh yeah, very stunning shots Greg. That the second shot was taken with the 75 with the "doubler" wow! And love the expressionless faces behind the net -- appears only two fellows are into the action. Must have bought their tickets from the scalpers outside ;-)
Thanks for the comments!

Ryder did not score, your comment about that was spot on, and the officials did do their share of kicking guys out of the face-off circle during the evening.

Those tickets behind the net are expensive too. Doing what I like to do, where I sit is the better gig, but if I were going without my camera, I would LOVE having a ticket down there just once...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 PM   #12

Been lucky enough to sit behind the glass just to the side of the net a few times -- really part of the action for those moment when the play is around the net. But truth be known, your location for these shots is a much better point for really watching the game. My wife's company once had really sweet seats -- centre ice top row of the golds right in front of the TV cameras at the ACC in Toronto. But really, watching the Leafs... pitiful.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:41 PM   #13

But aside from the game, interested in the digital 2x. What i see in your shots is quite clear and not exactly noisy. So I pulled out the manual for the e-pl1 and cannot find any reference for such an action. So will either have to attempt this in post, or buy a new camera (fat chance at this point). C'est la vie
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:32 AM   #14

I've been playing with some 75/1.8 shots I captured using raw+JPEG and tried to copy what Olympus does using the digital crop, up to the point after cropping I do not try and do any interpolation, so I leave the cropped files at their native resolution. Comparing the two at similar sizes, It's clear from what little differences I see Olympus is doing a heck of a job with the implementation of the process.

With the digitally cropped and rezed-up files, viewing them at 50% in Photoshop is pretty much equal to viewing the cropped, un-interpolated shots zoomed to 100%, which makes sense due to the amount being cropped is pretty much 50%. Once you start viewing the digitally cropped files larger than the 50% value, they start falling apart and looking pretty bad. It's kind-of like taking any uncropped file and viewing it at 200-400%. On the Smugmug page, you are still at less than 100% viewing at the X3Large file size, but you zoom way past the true 100% resolution using the "original", or full-resolution view and the digital processing-look starts becoming pretty clear.

A native E-M5 file size is 4608 x 3456 pixels. Cropping any file to approximately 2273 x 1705 (the value I used in my trials) pretty much mimics the amount of the file that's cropped by the in-camera digital TC in the E-M5. That file size (2273 x 1705) is not much smaller than the full-resolution files from my first Olympus camera, the 5 megapixel E-1 DSLR from 8 years ago.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:21 AM   #15

Enjoyed your shots, Greg. Top notch work as usual.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote