Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:30 PM   #21

If the ambient light is dim, f2.8 will force the ISO to go up and you will lose resolution and color saturation.

When I had my Oly 4/3 gear, the 14-54mm I was my favorite lens followed by the 70-300mm and the 40-150mm old model from the E500 series. If Oly released the 14-54mm m4/3 that would be a hit.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
P.s. the 12-35 would not replace the 45. That said I have read good things from a number of event type photographers going to om-d and the 12-35 and 35-100 as sole kit. The fact is 2.8 is fast enough that you can still use it indoors very easily with high iso on the om-d. Changing lenses all the time is a pita. As a hobbyist it is fun to go out and shoot with different primes but if one lens can do it why not? As a parent one lens sounds appealing. I tried the kit and it plain wasn't fast enough. On the other hand the ft 25 f2.8 is pretty good all around and fast enough to be used indoors without flash.

Anyways I like the long end more and my 70-300mm is doing that well.
It's good to hear that 25.2.8 is working well for ya I'm sitting here right now pondering the setup I'm going to take up to NJ to see my daughter and she takes me to Washington for two days (Smithsonian Air & Space is the one museum where we're going), NY and Philadelphia.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It's good to hear that 25.2.8 is working well for ya I'm sitting here right now pondering the setup I'm going to take up to NJ to see my daughter and she takes me to Washington for two days (Smithsonian Air & Space is the one museum where we're going), NY and Philadelphia.
Greg yeah I find it makes a good normal lens, for example at x-mas I put it on and took off the VF-2 and used the E-PL2 more like a P&S. The focal length was perfect, the focus was good, it was fast enough for a room lit with only natural light from the windows, and it was much less obtrusive since I wasn't holding it up to my eye for each shot. Nothing stops spontaneity like someone lifting a camera up to their eye, all the sudden eyes shift to you I think it would have been even better with the tilt screen and touch to shoot but I also think fiddling with the tilt screen might draw too much attention.

As for the Washington trip, I was there two years ago and I've been to the Air and Space a number of times before. To be honest the Air and Space feels old and cramped these days. The place to go in my opinion and the place I really regret not going to last time I was there is the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy extension near Dulles. They have a space shuttle and an SR-71, need I say more?

http://airandspace.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio
If the ambient light is dim, f2.8 will force the ISO to go up and you will lose resolution and color saturation.
and even more so at f4.4 which is what the kit lenses max aperture becomes at 25mm!

I also find that applying NR to the kind of shots I take with these lenses is usually desirable. When I shoot a bird I want very little NR to see every filament of the feather if possible, when I shoot a person or group of people most of the time they don't want to see every pore and wrinkle on their skin. What's more important is the light and the candidness of the shot in these cases.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of the day I still gotta say it just really kills me to see that Sigma can make their 30mm f1.4 in multiple mounts and sell it for under $300 (it's one of the hot deals). Why oh why did Sigma not just adopt this lens to MFT instead of bringing out the 30mm f2.8 DN?

Likewise retreading ... I mean remounting the 24mm f1.8 macro for MFT would give people a legit reason to pick it over the Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, I have a sigma 24mm f2.8 manual focus macro and it is very nice, I would love a faster MFT version of this, Sigma please?

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:47 AM   #24

You will love the Air & Space Museum, very cool and interesting. Plenty to take pics of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post