Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

View Poll Results: Which one
E-PL5 2 25.00%
OM-M5 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:47 AM   #11

My common sense tells me I already have the VF-2 so I should get the E-PL5.

However my senses tell me I want the OMD-EM5

p.s. if I did go OMD I would keep my E-PL2 but probably sell the VF-2, having the ability to throw a prime on it and use it more like a P&S is reason enough, that and a factory refurb is $230 w/lens, so it's not like the E-PL2 will fetch much used.

p.p.s. I have heard rumor that there maybe a successor to the E-PL5 with a built in viewfinder, but still maintaining a rangefinder profile, like the Sony Nex series. I think that is more likely than one with a built in flash. I think the model of having a clip on flash has already proven feasible for Sony and Olympus and I doubt we'll see another MFT with a built in flash. I personally never use the flash on my E-PL2

Last edited by ramcewan; Jan 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:42 AM   #12

I have a VF-2, it never comes off my E-P3 unless it FALLS off which has happened twice that fortunately I was able to back track and find. Now the VF-2 is rubber-banded to the P3.

I will wait for the new 'hybrid' then decide on a new camera whether the new or EM-5.

Whatever I buy will have a built-in VF.............. period.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:31 PM   #13

I'm wondering now if you could see a difference in IQ between the M5 and say the Nikon 5200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would say, if you want a more advance body, the OM would be a good transitions from a Pen staying within the m4/3 system. If you want to maintain the reason people get a pen. For the more compact size with excellent photo quality that a pns can not match. The pen makes a better upgrade.

While I like the OM allot, for the price it still can not match mid level dslr in sport shooting ability with lenses or continuous AF accuracy. And the added size does not make for as nice a travel companion as a pen. For the same size a compact dslr like a rebel or nikon d5200 would give me similar ability as the OM with a much cheaper price tag.

There will be a place for a ep3 replacement. Not everyone wants a m4/3 that is almost the size of a compact dslr. Also olympus knows they need to keep a pen with a built in flash in the lineup. That was one of the big drawbacks of the ep1 and ep2. They fixed that issue with the ep3. So the high end pen will retain a flash. And the epl and epm will loose the flash for cost savings and price point.

1 control dial vs 2 control dials is more a personal thing. I flip back and forth all the time between my dslrs and pen. It really does not matter as long as there is one dial so I can change aperture.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:35 PM   #14

Speaking of the E-P3, KEH has some good buys on two of them. One is LN and the other EX+ and both are well under 400.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Once you have used a camera with two control dials, going back to one and having to toggle controls is a real PITA. I have been considering having one of my Pens converted for infrared shooting and the one I would lean towards doing is the E-P3 just so I could keep two control dials.

I keep hearing there may yet be a successor model to the E-P3.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'm wondering now if you could see a difference in IQ between the M5 and say the Nikon 5200.
With similar quality lenses, it should be very close. Some sites like DPReview have a widget that allows you to compare test files of one model against other models. If they ever get around to reviewing the Nikon D5200 you could size up the two using those.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:49 PM   #16

6 to 1 in favour of the E-M5.

With numbers like these Oly should drop the PL series, keep the PM series as the entry level, Move the P series to the advanced middle ground. Build in the VF-2 viewfinder into the P series, keep the pop-up flash and at the ex-PL price point. Lower the price on the E-M5 and then introduce the pro hybrid at the top. Hey hey!
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:01 PM   #17

olympus will not lighten up their offering. Just look at how many offering panny has. Even the nex has like for different levels of their nex. The pens has 4 levels. The om is the odd ball form olympus. It is not a pen.

Also this poll is only in the olympus m4/3 forum. So you are targeting only pen and om user. But in a wider field of the consumer market. The higher price of the OM will have people looking at something else.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:56 PM   #18

I must be missing something because the only dial I see on the E-P3 is the one on top that just selects the mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Once you have used a camera with two control dials, going back to one and having to toggle controls is a real PITA. I have been considering having one of my Pens converted for infrared shooting and the one I would lean towards doing is the E-P3 just so I could keep two control dials.

I keep hearing there may yet be a successor model to the E-P3.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:04 PM   #19

I have to believe the E-PL5 isn't selling that well. With the cost of the body now at $549.00 now (100.00 discount/B&H) that has to tell me something. Then add $250.00 for a VF-2 viewfinder and we are up to 800 bucks. Might just as well add the difference and get the OM-D M5 and have a little more camera plus like another member stated, have the ability to use the electronic viewfinder and external flash at the same time. Another plus is that the M5 comes with an external flash for the hot shoe. I'm thinking that flash has to be a tad better than my pop up on my E-PL2.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I must be missing something because the only dial I see on the E-P3 is the one on top that just selects the mode.
There's the stand-alone dial on top you mentioned, plus the dial that rotates around the four-way control. Those two dials work on the E-P3 just like the two control dials on top of the E-M5.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote