Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:22 PM   #1

Default Hah!!!

OK, so they turned it into an "R" version cosmetically and coated it differently...and dropped the price from $899 to $549...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...-75-300mm-lens

Haven't looked any deeper to know if they changed it optically at all or not.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2

A fast check of the specs reveals that on paper, the only real differences are cosmetic. Lens assembly seems the same, focus distances the same, maximum image magnification is the same, apertures, 7-blade circular aperture. And lens hood remains an option. The "lighter" price is reflected in the weight -- this new lens is a whopping 7 grams lighter! If the refreshed lens matches the vintage lens, expect these to have stock issues. North of the 49th, this lens lists at $959 -- would really be excited if we get the refreshed lens at the new pricing.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3

One additional change that could affect (Lower) cost has nothing to do at all with materials or optics, and that's simply where they elect to assemble the updated model.

The original 75-300 is one of but a few micro lenses Olympus chose to produce in Japan. The only two other Micro Zuikos I own that have been "Made in Japan" are the 12mm f2 and 75mm f1.8. The 45mm f1.8, 60mm f2.8 Macro, 17mm f1.8, even the E-M5 itself, were all assembled in China. Shifting assembly to China would have to cut down, maybe way down, on the labor cost per unit.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
... Shifting assembly to China would have to cut down, maybe way down, on the labor cost per unit.
That makes cents.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:13 AM   #5

reading through the specs and comparing them to the 70-300mm I notice it has slightly closer focus distance but the max magnification for the 75-300mm is listed at 0.18x whereas the 70-300mm is 0.5x.

Not sure how to read/understand that, I really like the close focus and macro-like capability of the 70-300mm as exemplified in this honey bee shot, which is one of my favorites. I'd like to be able to go smaller, lighter and faster/quieter to focus but losing the macro-like capability would be enough to keep it off my want list.

P9165125_1 by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6

RA..... I'm with you and for me, like most mFT lenses this one likely won't find a place in my bags, but I would like to go smaller-size at some time.

Have you tried an EX-25 with the 70-300? It is an AWESOME MACRO combination.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:42 AM   #7

The problem with the way Olympus states the close focus distance of the 75-300 M. Zuiko is, the lens shows 2.96 feet on the barrel, which makes one think that's the close focus distance for the lens at all focal lengths. What they do not say is, it only focuses as close as 2.96 feet at one focal length.....75mm. From 76-300mm the minimum focus distance is 5 feet! The four-thirds 70-300 takes the close focus on it's own sweepstakes by a landslide, and I figure this new version of the Micro lens is going to work exactly like the old one.

That's why I was so excited when the Kenko extension tubes became available. Now I can focus very close with ths 75-300 M. Zuiko, but only because of the tubes. Before the tubes I also used the Canon 500D closeup attachment, but that required being very close to the subject, where the tubes allow me to back off a little ways and still get very close.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
RA..... I'm with you and for me, like most mFT lenses this one likely won't find a place in my bags, but I would like to go smaller-size at some time.

Have you tried an EX-25 with the 70-300? It is an AWESOME MACRO combination.

This is a really nice image.
I have not tried the EX-25 with the 70-300mm, I will have to add it to my wish list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The problem with the way Olympus states the close focus distance of the 75-300 M. Zuiko is, the lens shows 2.96 feet on the barrel, which makes one think that's the close focus distance for the lens at all focal lengths. What they do not say is, it only focuses as close as 2.96 feet at one focal length.....75mm. From 76-300mm the minimum focus distance is 5 feet! The four-thirds 70-300 takes the close focus on it's own sweepstakes by a landslide, and I figure this new version of the Micro lens is going to work exactly like the old one.

That's why I was so excited when the Kenko extension tubes became available. Now I can focus very close with ths 75-300 M. Zuiko, but only because of the tubes. Before the tubes I also used the Canon 500D closeup attachment, but that required being very close to the subject, where the tubes allow me to back off a little ways and still get very close.
Thanks for the detailed explanation I think that is shown in the max magnification even though Olympus tried to hide the true close focus distance.

For now I think I will hold tight to my 70-300mm plus DMW-MA1 combo at least until I satiate my OMD lust
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:08 PM   #9

I just looked at my wish list and it comes to $2,465.94. That will probably require some editing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I have not tried the EX-25 with the 70-300mm, I will have to add it to my wish list!

Thanks for the detailed explanation I think that is shown in the max magnification even though Olympus tried to hide the true close focus distance.

For now I think I will hold tight to my 70-300mm plus DMW-MA1 combo at least until I satiate my OMD lust
Old Feb 1, 2013, 3:36 PM   #10

The problem with his lens is the speed (f4.8-6.7). This lens is way too slow for being a long zoom lens. You will need a ton of light if you want to keep the ISO at decent levels.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote