Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:06 AM   #1

Default Olympus EP-9 Eyecup for VF-2 Viewfinder $14.99

Quote:
Olympus EP-9 Eyecup for VF-2 Viewfinder $14.99
Seriously, Olympus? Fifteen bucks for a rubber eyehole the size of a quarter? That should have come with the product anyhow?

Anyhow, I finally bit the bullet and picked up the viewfinder when the rebate was still in effect. I know people said this to me, but it really is amazing the difference it makes trying to focus. I've been using a Minolta 50mm 1.4 I got at goodwill recently, and it's pretty great.

If the sun comes out in the next six months or so maybe I'll be able to take this out. It's a vivitar 300mm I brought up in another thread. It might or might not up taking good images but at least it looks cool.

EDIT: Sorry if you opened this hoping you'd learn more about the Olympus Rubber Eyecup ripoff. I don't think I can change the title.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Jan 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2

I lost the stock eye piece and Olympus would not sell a replacement but would replace it if the VF-2 were to be sent in for 'maintenance', the cost for the maintenance is a flat $62.50.

I bought an EP9 from China, $16, but didn't/don't like it..... about 6-months ago Olympus has the OEM piece for sale at $7 which I bought.

The parts are very difficult to find on the Olympus website, I use the iPAD Olympus app which is how I found the part.

My original post with the EP-9 ==> http://tinyurl.com/all3o9j

The Vivitar 300 is a nice looking lens, bet it will be fun to use.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3

That is a nice looking/heavy duty Vivitar lens. Probably made back in the day when Vivitar was using some high end makers like Kino (Kiron) Optics. When I was using manual focus Nikon film SLR's I had a close-focus Vivitar 24mm f2 and one of these 90-180mm f4.5 flat-field lenses that was killer..

http://makingnottaking.blogspot.com/...-f45-flat.html

Any of the original Vivitar Series One lens lineup is still worth picking up today.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4

Yes the Vivitar lenses were made by other companies, even Olympus made a few for Vivitar back in the day. The most notable ones are the Kino (Kiron), Tokina/Hoya, Schneider Optik and Cosina although others that might have been notable I might not recognize.

To determine which maker created yours you can use this website. I can't make out the serial number from the photo

http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

It does look exactly like the one this guy has in this thread, which has a serial number starting with 37 which would indicate Tokina made it which bodes well for your lens.

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-30...ar+%2B300.html

I had a Hoya 80-200mm f4 zoom lenses that was made by Tokina that was every bit as sharp as the Lumix 45-200mm. This shot was with that lens before I sold it to raise money for another lens

female woodpecker 20120317 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Greg that 90-180mm macro looks very nice. I often think for still life macro the older MF lenses are very much the way to go.

Last edited by ramcewan; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Thanks sir! That's a pretty cool link. Looks like mine is indeed a Tokina, though it's a 5.5 instead of a 5.6 though they're incredibly similar-looking. So it's from either 1970 or 1980, I'm guessing 1970--but it came with the original instructions so I'll have to take a look when I get home.

Nice woodpecker shot. My parents have a cabin that happens to be near a large population of Bald Eagles, so I look forward to frustrating myself by missing on a lot of faraway bird shots.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post

Nice woodpecker shot. My parents have a cabin that happens to be near a large population of Bald Eagles, so I look forward to frustrating myself by missing on a lot of faraway bird shots.
sounds nice, probably best thing to do would be to find a favored perch and pre-focus on it allowing the birds to come to you.