Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'm pretty happy with my 14-42II considering it is a kit lens. Like others stated, you almost have to give them away once you start aquiring primes. I think I'd like to get the Panny 20mm, seems like everybody is pleased with it.

Honestly I've hardly taken it (the 20) off since I picked up my used copy 2-3 months ago. It just seems so well-suited for "general use."

That said, I dont think the kit lens is that terrible. Just not as fun, I suppose.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Feb 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'm pretty happy with my 14-42II considering it is a kit lens. Like others stated, you almost have to give them away once you start aquiring primes. I think I'd like to get the Panny 20mm, seems like everybody is pleased with it.

Well I got my $99 Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens last night (I split the two lens deal with someone I knew on flickr) and I must say it is probably the best $100 I've spent in a while. Not only does it include a lens hood but it also has a nifty little padded pouch, imagine that!

But what I found really startling was the lightning speed it focuses at, even in crap light. This lens seems a sure winner for snapshots where speed to focus is critical. Also pretty sharp. What is weird is that looking at the front element their is a plastic ring that has some texture to appear like an aperture but the actual aperture blades are behind this ring and only appear when stopped down. I can only guess they did this because wide open the aperture blades caused unpleasant bokeh? I don't know it makes me wonder if it could be faster.

Anyways the speed to focus is really noticeable.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:40 PM   #13

Is it (19mm) noticeably sharper than the kit lens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Well I got my $99 Sigma 19mm f2.8 lens last night (I split the two lens deal with someone I knew on flickr) and I must say it is probably the best $100 I've spent in a while. Not only does it include a lens hood but it also has a nifty little padded pouch, imagine that!

But what I found really startling was the lightning speed it focuses at, even in crap light. This lens seems a sure winner for snapshots where speed to focus is critical. Also pretty sharp. What is weird is that looking at the front element their is a plastic ring that has some texture to appear like an aperture but the actual aperture blades are behind this ring and only appear when stopped down. I can only guess they did this because wide open the aperture blades caused unpleasant bokeh? I don't know it makes me wonder if it could be faster.

Anyways the speed to focus is really noticeable.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:52 PM   #14

I've used the 14-42II a couple of times with the E-M5 and have no real complaints about the image quality. If I wanted to take the smallest, lightest possible kit capable of the widest set of focal lengths, it's be hard to do better than the 9-18, 14-42II and 40-150..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:05 PM   #15

Everyone but me...I bought one and returned it within a month. It produces sharp images but it has the tendency to over expose in high contrast situations. I was not able to control highlight clipping. In order to preserve the highlights, I had to lower the exposure by -0.7 or even -1 and then I'd get real dark images. I liked the 14mm much better although it is a bit too wide for portraits and not as fast.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I've used the 14-42II a couple of times with the E-M5 and have no real complaints about the image quality. If I wanted to take the smallest, lightest possible kit capable of the widest set of focal lengths, it's be hard to do better than the 9-18, 14-42II and 40-150..
Those look great as usual, Greg.

Speaking of the 40-15, there's a great deal on that lens right now if anyone's looking for something longer. Hard to beat 100 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-M-Zuiko-40-150mm-4-0-5-6-Digital/dp/B0066J6EOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360698459&sr=8-1&keywords=olympus+40-150
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:50 PM   #17

Wow...that is a good deal. It is a good lens!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:14 PM   #18

Yes, $99 for the 40-150....a no-brainer if one ever wanted it. I see B&H finally dropped their price down to the $99 level as well. Up to a day or two ago, they still had it listed at $199 while Olympus direct has had it at $99.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:29 PM   #19

Yeah. Too bad I already have the Panasonic 45-200 which I'm assuming is pretty comparable.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, $99 for the 40-150....a no-brainer if one ever wanted it. I see B&H finally dropped their price down to the $99 level as well. Up to a day or two ago, they still had it listed at $199 while Olympus direct has had it at $99.
heck of a deal, too bad I have that focal length more than covered already

what's weird is the silver one at B&H is $99

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ED_40_150.html

and the black one is $179

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...R_M_Zuiko.html

also noticed a number of the new lenses are being listed already, sure is a great time to be in the MFT format with all the new lenses and third party support