Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:03 PM   #21

The temperature should be in the 60's this w/e. Gotta love CA! Good luck to all of you facing the storm. I hope it won't be as bad as predicted. The forecast said that it should be a fast-moving storm, which is a good thing.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:19 PM   #22

Hah! I just got through blowing a foot of snow off a 85 x 20 foot driveway. I had to shovel off the deck early this am so the dogs could get out to go pody, that is after I shoveled off an area on the lawn for them to go. Great day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
The temperature should be in the 60's this w/e. Gotta love CA! Good luck to all of you facing the storm. I hope it won't be as bad as predicted. The forecast said that it should be a fast-moving storm, which is a good thing.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:29 PM   #23

....makes me smile when others have great days too, James.

I had a long wallk with a camera & bag at a park down the street this morning (long-sleeve T-shirt), needed to get out today because we have a weather change with expected rain beginning late tomorrow, Saturday. Still in the 70s here today.

Just saw news from Boston, 4pm CDT, it looks like Nemo is becoming more mad.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:04 PM   #24

This storm is taking it's sweet time getting cranked up, here on the Cape.
It's snowing steadily since about 11 am and yet, here it is 6pm, and we've got about 1-1/2".
The concern in my Town of Sandwich, is for major flooding during the high tides.
That coupled with significant wind. The forecast is for seriously nasty weather ,overnight, with steady 50mph winds and getting as high as 75-80mph. If the winds indeed, hold, steady for that length of time not only wil that drive the water -higher still, but we'll lose power for sure.
So far, we're fortunate, we have power.When that goes - the power generator kicks in at least for our immediate emergency needs.

Good luck guys.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:46 PM   #25

Good luck, Zig!!!
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Good luck, Zig!!!
Same here. Take care Zig.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:31 PM   #27

Here in the UK all we need is 1" of snow and everything grinds to a halt.Heathrow airport cancels most of its flights, the trains stop, the roads become "impassable" and the schools shut.The news gives us the impression that when this type of weather hits the States you guys deal with it and life goes on. Perhaps not quite as simple as that, reading your posts.

Anyway, I have experienced a similar situation (December 2010 here comes to mind where with my family I was marooned by Eurostar for 24 hours, but thats another story) ,good luck to you all.Safety permitting make sure you get some good snow shots.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:39 PM   #28

As of 8:30pm we had close to 8inches which i cleared from the walks and back deck. it has sped up since then and I would guess we've hit the 2inch per hour rate and the wind is kicking up, gonna be fun morning clearing all over again.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:28 PM   #29

.....for sure, take care all of you who are in the blizzard's way.

Zig, the local Fox News station here had a link to a Fox field reporter 'in Sandwich' tonight @ CDT 9pm. There was a lot of snow blowing 90 degrees from vertical and the young lady reporter was barely able to stand.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:39 PM   #30

Default Zig is doing OK

I talked to Zig - he's doing OK. They got a foot of very heavy snow where he is, and that plus the gale-force winds have knocked down a huge number of trees, so they lost grid power yesterday evening. But with all the warning they had, he's stocked up on fuel for his generator which he's running 1 hour on/1 hour off for heat, critical circuits, and charging cell phones of course. He doesn't expect power back until sometime next week because of the time it takes to get the downed trees out of the way. Folks there are in good spirits - nor'easters are not an uncommon occurrence on Cape Cod.

Edit: He also said they're concerned about flooding, although his house is high up enough to be safe. (Coming from Arizona, I guess "high" is a very relative term...)

Ted

PS: Just like where I live, when there's no grid power his cell phone connectivity is fine. Go figure...

Last edited by tkurkowski; Feb 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote