Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Greg -- not feeling the love for the M.Zuiko ED M.12-50mm. Is it still in the bag or has it been recycled...
I still have the second copy I picked up, and I keep trying to like it, but it's just not happening. Last weekend I kept the primes at home on Saturday and used the 9-18, 12-50 and 75-300 at a few venues, from a couple of parks in Arlington over to the audobon center in Dallas to my normal hill-top view of the sunset. The 9-18 M. Zuiko is amazing for the tiny size it is, and I love the 75-300, but I'm always disappointed with what I get from the 12-50. Everytime I spend time with it, it reminds me of why I never used it for the preceeding several weeks.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... So for the times I want to shoot macro on the go, I just put on my canon 500D conversion lens onto my all in one 14-150. And it does the macro fix for me, not prefect, but it works well.
As I recall, those shots of the watch face you showed really speaks highly of your "macro fix". Fine indeed.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:36 PM   #13

really can not get any more compact with a all purpose lens and the 500D. It is on the fly set up. It does a nice job for traveling. No complaints. But I am really considering adding the 45 1.8 to go along with the 20 1.7.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:09 PM   #14

some shots of orchids I took a couple days ago with the 45mm f1.8 (I think the roses greg posted with the 60mm are sharper but these I think came out okay for handheld in natural light)

I think it is clear that the DOF with the 45mm is very shallow.

P2068592 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P2068590 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P2068593 by ramcewan, on Flickr

p.s. and this is my favorite shot taken thus far with the 45mm f1.8 ... again natural light and handheld

P1058140_1 by ramcewan, on Flickr

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:37 PM   #15

Not fair to compare the rose to the orchid. The rose was shot with a true macro lens.

The dof is a little thin at 1.8 but it is nowhere as thin as a 1.4 on an APSC sensor.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:05 PM   #16

The eyes on that kitty are gorgeous.

Orchids are not easy to shoot. At some point that'll be a good subject to try out the focus stage with. Problem is, I'll need to buy some orchids. I don't know anyone who grows them.

Here's a review just posted on the 60mm Macro. There's an image on page one with the 60mm and 45 together to give an idea of the size difference..

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--fou...ts/781-oly6028
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The eyes on that kitty are gorgeous.

Orchids are not easy to shoot. At some point that'll be a good subject to try out the focus stage with. Problem is, I'll need to buy some orchids. I don't know anyone who grows them.

Here's a review just posted on the 60mm Macro. There's an image on page one with the 60mm and 45 together to give an idea of the size difference..

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--fou...ts/781-oly6028
Yes we are lucky to serve such a beautiful kitty!

Orchids are perfect for focus stacking using a focus stage with their protruding portions. They are rather easy to care for; they get four ice cubes a week for water and a window with indirect light.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:10 PM   #18

I bought a plant at one time, Had some beautiful blooms, which eventually faded and fell off as they do. Once that happens, don't you have to "feed" them besides the ice cubes for watering?

A lady at my prior work place raised orchids. She had several in her office. Some of them could go months between blooming.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I bought a plant at one time, Had some beautiful blooms, which eventually faded and fell off as they do. Once that happens, don't you have to "feed" them besides the ice cubes for watering?

A lady at my prior work place raised orchids. She had several in her office. Some of them could go months between blooming.
My wife did re-pot them between this set of blossoms and the last, but no feeding was involved. It is certainly the case they go months between blooms, in the case of the two we have they have gone over 6 months but when the blooms do come they stay for a month or two.