Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:34 PM   #21

My household has three people, two smartphones, one ipod touch, three tablets, three laptops and two desktops.

I don't take pictures with my tablet but do feel that it is absolutely the best way to view pictures and share that viewing experience. Nobody wants to gather around the desktop or sit with a heavy hot laptop on their lap to share pictures of the family vacation, but a tablet is something you can share on the couch with two other people or hold and share standing. It to me is the replacement for the scrap book. I view and process photos on a laptop, then I upload to flickr and download to the tablet.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:00 PM   #22

I can attest to that. My daughter and her husband who live about 1800 miles from me have our first grandson. Her hubby has a nice Nikon DSLR but rarely uses it to photograph our grandson. Instead they send us cell phone pics that don't lool all that bad. When I try to blow them up to 8x10 they are grainy because they are resized before being sent to us. Kind of ticks me off a bit. And after several requests, they still refuse to find time to send me the full resolution files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I think camera sales in general is declining because of the better quality of cell phone cameras. An 8 MP phone can take some decent images. I'm sure not good enough for most of us but overall they are very acceptable and people just don't feel the need to spend $$ on actual cameras since they already carry their cells with them 100% of the time. As for Olympus, they have ups and downs. Some camera models are very good, some are OK and many are on the mediocre side. They should do what many car manufacturers did during the economy melt down. Chevy discontinued many lines/models (i.e. Saturn) , keeping only the most popular, best selling ones. I don't believe Oly needs to offer the EP, EPL, EPM and OMD models (and various versions of it as well). They should keep say the EPL and OMD and stop making the other two. I'm not sure they should get out of the P&S market altogether. The problem is, they have nothing else if they do. They would become a company selling two camera models and that would not last. So, I guess they should trim the P&S line as well. The market no longer supports a huge variety of offerings. Those days when Sony used to reale 4-5 different Alpha models in one shot, are gone. However, Sony is much better positioned than Olympus as they have the FF, the SLT, the NEX and I believe they still have regular DSLR models as well as their line of P&S. They can easily trim the fat and still offer a good number of different models for different needs.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:03 PM   #23

I agree, and iPad just seems too bulky to use as a camera. I rather have my camera around my neck then use one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I have seen some people carry around their ipads and taking pictures. Why for the life of me they'd use an ipad for that is beyond me. Seems just a little bit too unwieldy for my taste. Guess it makes it easy for them to upload at once to Facebook.....which would be one sick reason . I guess the next frontier will be figuring out a way to load images to their "page" before they take them...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:06 PM   #24

I have an Acer pad and thats what I use to take pics of my grandson to show my aging mother. It's pretty handy for that purpose. Now I already forgot how to download pics to it now that we are talking about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
My household has three people, two smartphones, one ipod touch, three tablets, three laptops and two desktops.

I don't take pictures with my tablet but do feel that it is absolutely the best way to view pictures and share that viewing experience. Nobody wants to gather around the desktop or sit with a heavy hot laptop on their lap to share pictures of the family vacation, but a tablet is something you can share on the couch with two other people or hold and share standing. It to me is the replacement for the scrap book. I view and process photos on a laptop, then I upload to flickr and download to the tablet.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:47 PM   #25

Default smartphones & cameras

I edit the (glossy full-color print) newsletter for a volunteer organization, and I'm here to tell you that it's all smartphones out there -- and that means darn few print-quality photos. And people don't get it when you tell them that their grainy little smartphone snapshot just won't work on the front page.

>sigh<
ARiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:05 PM   #26

Every gadget has its own place. I have an iPad and love it. In fact, I'm writing this post on it. I use it to do work as well as check this forum while I wait to pick up my son in school. When I'm at lunch, then i have my Droid in case I need to check my work (I work in IT and have provide customer support just about all the time). However, I don't have a Facebook account and I never use my phone or iPad as tools to take photos. I have several cameras for that purpose. My sister-in-law has this thing about posting pictures on facebook of every restaurant they go to (don't ask me why). She uses the phone to take those pictures because she can then upload them instantly.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote