Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default Camera Straps, what do you use/prefer?

Looking for input into what people are using and what do you think about the options listed below?

When I first got the e-pl2 I used the strap that was in the box, it worked okay while I was on vacation but wasn't particularly comfortable so I basically used it as a safety while the camera was out and kept putting it back in the bag (crumpler 4 million dollar home) while not actively shooting.

Since then I have stopped using the strap. But I am going on vacation soon and am thinking again about a strap but thinking an upgrade is in order. I'm thinking something that will allow me to keep the camera out of the bag more instead of constantly going in and out.

I'm at this point pretty keen on the sling style with my focus on the joby or the more mature blackrapid which originated this setup. I really like the security of a shoulder strap combined with the quick draw.

joby ultrafit
http://www.adorama.com/JOUFSSM.html?...FUWo4AodvBkACw

this blackrapid is specifically for mirror less.

BlackRapid Metro Sling
http://www.adorama.com/BRMSS.html

this is the more traditional blackrapid
BlackRapid RS-7
http://www.adorama.com/BRRS7.html


these are a few neck type straps. I'm also considering.

Lowepro Transporter
http://www.adorama.com/LPSTRAPT.html

Tamrac N-27
http://www.adorama.com/TRN27BK.html
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Domke Gripper strap. This is the one I have on my E-M5 right now..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Strap.html

Nice strap.

I used a BlackRapid strap with the E-5 DSLR, which was a much heavier body-lens combination. For the little E-M5 and lenses, I prefer tha Domke strap.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 903
Default

I have a wrist strap that I salvaged from a broken point and shoot.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Domke Gripper strap. This is the one I have on my E-M5 right now..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...era_Strap.html

Nice strap.

I used a BlackRapid strap with the E-5 DSLR, which was a much heavier body-lens combination. For the little E-M5 and lenses, I prefer tha Domke strap.
Greg - the Domke is also on my short list. I'm also concerned that with a blackrapid type sling strap I lose the ability to use the monopod easily unless I spend additional money on the special screw in grommet and manfrotto quick release plate, with the joby one there is no option except detaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I have a wrist strap that I salvaged from a broken point and shoot.
that works and usually I don't use anything but on vacation (FL) I'm going to want the extra security. We're going to do an airboat ride so I don't want to risk a wrist strap (even a good one) sliding off while trying to shoot a bird with the 70-300mm
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 903
Default

No, I agree. I actually started using that because I was so indecisive about which strap to buy.

Something more secure is still a must for hiking, traveling, etc. I've just discovered that the neck strap gets in the way a lot of the time.

EDIT--oh, also some advice. Monopod doesn't help stabilize anything when you're on a boat taking shots of the shore.

I'll let you guess how I found that out.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

I use a leather wrist strap made by Gordy straps. It's the best thing I've found to securely hold my camera, as I hate neck straps.

Besides, the wrist strap looks pretty cool.

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 2,069
Default

here's another one I'm looking at. They have two models;


the FS-SLIM
http://www.amazon.com/Carry-Speed-FS...956871&sr=1-1\

and CS-SLIM
http://www.amazon.com/Carry-Speed-CS...0956871&sr=1-5

the neat trick for these is they have a plate that allows tripods to still be mounted on the camera without removing anything.
__________________
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,380
Default

I like the idea of the first few where it appears it mounts to the tripod mount on the camera. As for the plain neck straps I'd go for the Lowepro that has the rings that would go on the eyelets of the camera. I hate threading straps onto cameras. I might just order the Lowepro and that way if you took your tripod or monopod with you there would be no need to remove the strap mount from the camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Looking for input into what people are using and what do you think about the options listed below?

When I first got the e-pl2 I used the strap that was in the box, it worked okay while I was on vacation but wasn't particularly comfortable so I basically used it as a safety while the camera was out and kept putting it back in the bag (crumpler 4 million dollar home) while not actively shooting.

Since then I have stopped using the strap. But I am going on vacation soon and am thinking again about a strap but thinking an upgrade is in order. I'm thinking something that will allow me to keep the camera out of the bag more instead of constantly going in and out.

I'm at this point pretty keen on the sling style with my focus on the joby or the more mature blackrapid which originated this setup. I really like the security of a shoulder strap combined with the quick draw.

joby ultrafit
http://www.adorama.com/JOUFSSM.html?...FUWo4AodvBkACw

this blackrapid is specifically for mirror less.

BlackRapid Metro Sling
http://www.adorama.com/BRMSS.html

this is the more traditional blackrapid
BlackRapid RS-7
http://www.adorama.com/BRRS7.html


these are a few neck type straps. I'm also considering.

Lowepro Transporter
http://www.adorama.com/LPSTRAPT.html

Tamrac N-27
http://www.adorama.com/TRN27BK.html
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
zombz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: wolcott NY
Posts: 437
Default

I use black rapid rs5 and love it
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,565
Default

I use the DOMKE Gripper, I have a 1" and a 1 1/2" which I prefer & use on my E-P3.
__________________
.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.