Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Default What a tough place to have to swim...

But someone has to do it.

Captured with the E-M5 and 9-18mm M. Zuiko at 12mm..

A couple of other shots with the 9-18, this next one at 9mm from a walking path at a park near Cowboys Stadium in Arlington..

At 16mm below. In the past I have often used this lens like a 9mm prime, avoiding all the rest of the zoom range. If you use it from 9-18 and not just fall in love with the 9mm setting, it's really a darn capable lens across the range. One thing's for sure. You can raise the shadows to your heart's extent to reveal backlit detail like this with no penalty using E-M5 raw files.

Compared to using the 12mm f2, the 9-18 at certain angles to the sun will produce some incredible fringing no amount of correction in Camera raw will correct, meaning you have to use something else. It did not happen in the image below, but I resorted to cloning it out in some other files. I can only imagine the type CA this lens would produce indoors like at a museum with bright lights overhead and windows.

A great stand of oaks and azalea bushes that will probably be popping in about a month, at 14mm..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:44 PM   #2

Nice shots Greg. My fave is number one.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:58 AM   #3

The colors of all shots you take from this area look very natural. The greens don't have that strong green cast and the browns (particularly tree trunks and branches) are not overly saturated. What camera settings do you use? Standard? Have you tweaked WB?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:07 AM   #4

Used in-camera daylight white balance & processed everything else in Adobe Camera RAW afterwards. I pretty much leave everything else default since I'm doing the processing later.

Thanks.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:47 AM   #5

Thanks, Greg.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:09 PM   #6

Nice sharp shots. The duck in the first shot is interesting, I clicked through to smugmug to view the original and was amazed at the fine detail at 100%, I could see the duck's nose and feathers very clearly, that's pretty darn good IMHO.