Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:53 PM   #11

YIKES! One battery isn't going to work for me with that arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Just a follow up to James' question about the macro arm light using camera power.

Yes, it sure does use camera power. And it uses a lot of it. I drained my battery after about 30 images.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 2:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
YIKES! One battery isn't going to work for me with that arm.
In fairness to the device, I just finished giving the battery full charge. I'm going to try again and see how many images i get with a fully charged battery.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:21 PM   #13

Just got mine. Only have the DCR-250, but looking forward to trying it along with either my minolta or the 45-200 for some extreme macro. The Raynox has an extremely thin DOF though, so for best results I should probably have rails of some sort.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
In fairness to the device, I just finished giving the battery full charge. I'm going to try again and see how many images i get with a fully charged battery.
Hi Zig,

Interesting post about the MAL-1, I bought a OMD 4 3 weeks ago and I was playing yesterday with the macro function of the Olympus 12-50mm, not sure how this will work with the Raynox DCR-250.

Did you have chance to test the battery life full charged with the MAL-1?

Regards.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Hi Zig,

Interesting post about the MAL-1, I bought a OMD 4 3 weeks ago and I was playing yesterday with the macro function of the Olympus 12-50mm, not sure how this will work with the Raynox DCR-250.Marcelo
Wow.....sounds like you're about to do some work at the sub-atomic level! The 12-50, in macro mode and with the Raynox 250.....I had a hard enough time using the Raynox 150 with a Panasonic FZ50.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi Zig,

Interesting post about the MAL-1, I bought a OMD 4 3 weeks ago and I was playing yesterday with the macro function of the Olympus 12-50mm, not sure how this will work with the Raynox DCR-250.

Did you have chance to test the battery life full charged with the MAL-1?

Regards.

Marcelo
Hi,

No, I haven't had any real opportunities to use my E-P2 + MA-1+35mm macro lens with a fully charged battery as yet. Not much in the way of flowers, here, as yet.
But, in the few times I tried it out, I used the MA-1 as a fill-in light source to eliminate shadows created by side and overhead lighting that I was using. I liked the results when using it in this fashion.

And yes, I noticed you got the E-M5. Very nice results you posted from your trip.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Wow.....sounds like you're about to do some work at the sub-atomic level! The 12-50, in macro mode and with the Raynox 250.....I had a hard enough time using the Raynox 150 with a Panasonic FZ50.
I have the Raynox and it is a great tool for macro photography but I know the limitations of it also. Just experimenting with the 12-50mm.
Quote:
Hi,

No, I haven't had any real opportunities to use my E-P2 + MA-1+35mm macro lens with a fully charged battery as yet. Not much in the way of flowers, here, as yet.
But, in the few times I tried it out, I used the MA-1 as a fill-in light source to eliminate shadows created by side and overhead lighting that I was using. I liked the results when using it in this fashion.

And yes, I noticed you got the E-M5. Very nice results you posted from your trip.

Zig
Thank you for the reply Zig and I'm glad you like my pictures.

I'm very impressed with the camera and I'll post some pictures here soon.

Have a great day.

Marcelo
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:47 AM   #18

Quote:
I have the Raynox and it is a great tool for macro photography but I know the limitations of it also. Just experimenting with the 12-50mm.
How has your 12-50 been working for you otherwise?

I've had two copies of it. The more I use it the less I care for it. The whole standard Olympus zoom trial has been rather disappointing....to the point I've primarily used primes. I finally tried the 14-150 and it's been the best zoom that covers the standard range of the bunch and zoom and focus mechanisms are smooth as butter. The extra reach at the long-end is a bonus. I'd really prefer having as wide as 12mm, but the 9-18 covers that nicely when I need to go wider than 14mm.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
How has your 12-50 been working for you otherwise?

I've had two copies of it. The more I use it the less I care for it. The whole standard Olympus zoom trial has been rather disappointing....to the point I've primarily used primes. I finally tried the 14-150 and it's been the best zoom that covers the standard range of the bunch and zoom and focus mechanisms are smooth as butter. The extra reach at the long-end is a bonus. I'd really prefer having as wide as 12mm, but the 9-18 covers that nicely when I need to go wider than 14mm.
Sorry for the late reply Greg,

I like my 12-50mm, it is very versatile lens and the fact it is weather proof is one of the reasons I bought it. The 40-150mm is sharper than the 12-50mm but I just love the size of the u4/3 lens and versatility.

I didn't have chance to use the Raynox lens attachment yet but my intentions are to use it with the 12-50mm (not in macro mode) to give it more focus distance.

Some pictures with the 12-50mm and the OMD E-M5

Something that blow my mind is how well the IS system of the OMD works, this pictures was hand held and the exposure was 1/5 second and it is very sharp with exception of the people escalating the stars of the Arch of the Triumph

Have a great Eastern weekend.

Marcelo