Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 1, 2013, 4:44 PM   #1

Default EPL-2 HDTV playback help please.

I edited some of my images, usually straightening them out as some were a little off horizontally. When I load them back into my EPL-2 to playback on my HDTV, many of the edited images playback as a much smaller image on my tv screen, like a 1/4 of the size of the screen rather than the whole screen. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Most of the images are the same size as the original or a few pixels smaller but that's about it. Even if they are a few pixels smaller and I bring them back to their original size, they still play small. Really confusing as the ones that I did not edit are fine and also some of the edited ones are fine too.
klrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:16 PM   #2

In your camera menu go to settings, HDMI, and make sure it is set to 1080i and the display is set to NTSC and not PAL. PAL is the European TV format. I don't know if this is the problem but it's worth checking. If your display is only capable of 720p then see if you have a 720p setting available for output on the camera. Also try taking a 720p movie with the camera and see what that looks like on the screen. I've never tried viewing pics on my HDTV so I don't know if it will fill the whole screen or not. A HDTV is capable of displaying a total of 2,073,600 pixels.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:14 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply James. Settings for HDMI and NTSC are all good. I also noticed that when I edit images and reload them into my camera, the ones that stay small on my HDTV are the ones that stay small on my LCD viewer on the EPL2 as well. Strange thing is when I read the details of the image, they are all good so this one has me major stumped??

For all the other images that are fine, they look just incredible on my 50inch Plasma TV. I don't know why I never thought of trying to view them on there before, but WOW, just stunning. I got a mini HDMI to standard HDMI cable on amazon for a few bucks and can't believe I never thought of trying this earlier. I crop my 4:3 images on the TV itself to 16x9 with my camera settings so that the whole screen is filled and may just only take 16:9 images from now on. Brings so much life into my images that one literally feels like walking through the screen they are so lifelike. Since I took the images at 4k in the camera, they'll all be good when 4k tv's come down in price, but right now, my 1080p tv blows me away with the image quality.

Last edited by klrman; Mar 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:24 PM   #4

Mmm, what happened to your last post re solving the problem. I don't see it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrman View Post
Thank you for your reply James. Settings for HDMI and NTSC are all good. I also noticed that when I edit images and reload them into my camera, the ones that stay small on my HDTV are the ones that stay small on my LCD viewer on the EPL2 as well. Strange thing is when I read the details of the image, they are all good so this one has me major stumped??

For all the other images that are fine, they look just incredible on my 50inch Plasma TV. I don't know why I never thought of trying to view them on there before, but WOW, just stunning. I got a mini HDMI to standard HDMI cable on amazon for a few bucks and can't believe I never thought of trying this earlier. I crop my 4:3 images on the TV itself to 16x9 with my camera settings so that the whole screen is filled and may just only take 16:9 images from now on. Brings so much life into my images that one literally feels like walking through the screen they are so lifelike. Since I took the images at 4k in the camera, they'll all be good when 4k tv's come down in price, but right now, my 1080p tv blows me away with the image quality.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Mmm, what happened to your last post re solving the problem. I don't see it now.
I thought by deleting the videos it all worked out, but I mistook some of the images for ok when later on or the small ones showed up again thats why I deleted the post not to confuse anyone.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:16 AM   #6

Taking a wild stab, have only played back images on the "big screen" by putting the memory card directly into the set...

When you edit your pictures, by chance is your editor downsampling the pixel count -- dpi/ppi -- from the camera output of say 314 ppi to 72 ppi. This might account for the smaller image playback.

I caught myself saving images at the lower resolution quite by accident -- the software defaulted to screen rez @ 72ppi versus my intended print rez at 314 ppi.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:18 PM   #7

Another item to note is that you say your movies are fine but keep in mind that you are likely shooting your movies in a 16:9 format which is the same as your HDTV whereas pictures are not taken in the 16:9 format and will not fill the entire screen. Might also want to look at the Exif data on the pictures that appear small and note the difference between the pics that look good on the screen.