Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:16 PM   #11

Not bad. So is it worth upgrading from the E-PL3 to the E-PL5? Or since I have yet to purchase a viewfinder (had been hoping to find a deal on ebay or something ) would the E-M5 be a better upgrade?

Although maybe I should just pick up a VF2
Axanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:58 AM   #12

Well if an 8x10 photo is considered "wallet size" for you, then I'd go with the OMD E5.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
$550 plus tax is a pretty good deal. Too bad I am not looking for a new body

However, I am still thinking about a new lens ... the new 75-300? the 75mm? or the 60mm Macro? ... all of them will fit with my kit. Well not really, the missing link in my kit is the 60mm macro. I can still use the 70-300 for my 4/3 ....
tough call, having seen enough of your shots to know flowers and macro doesn't seem to be a big priority I would vote for the 75mm. The 60mm is obviously really nice too and doesn't overlap with your existing lenses but I think since you have the 45mm (as I recall) the 60mm will not be different enough to justify, that and the 45mm will probably start to gather dust if you get the 60mm, whereas the 45mm still maintains usefulness with the 75mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axanar View Post
Not bad. So is it worth upgrading from the E-PL3 to the E-PL5? Or since I have yet to purchase a viewfinder (had been hoping to find a deal on ebay or something ) would the E-M5 be a better upgrade?

Although maybe I should just pick up a VF2
The main upgrade from E-PL3 to E-PL5 is the newer sensor, if it was me my first thought would be returning the E-PL3 and getting the E-PL5 but not sure how long you've had the E-PL3?

As for VF-2 it seems like you should have no trouble finding a used one for around $150 on ebay. I paid $175 for a factory refurbished one from Adorama but those only pop up every once in a while.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post

As for VF-2 it seems like you should have no trouble finding a used one for around $150 on ebay. I paid $175 for a factory refurbished one from Adorama but those only pop up every once in a while.

I saw a rumor about a new external viewfinder. So it might be worth while to hold back a bit and see if a new one makes the price of the VF-2 to drop a bit.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 3:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I saw a rumor about a new external viewfinder. So it might be worth while to hold back a bit and see if a new one makes the price of the VF-2 to drop a bit.
From what I have seen they've already dropped quite a bit on the used market, I think in large part as people who've upgrade to an OM-D EM-5 are selling them off. I just did a quick check of ebay completed auctions and there were a number of them recently sold for around $130, when I bought mine you couldn't find a used one for under $150, I remember seeing them regularly bid up to $175 for used.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:54 PM   #16

It's amazing the VF-2 has survived as many generations of bodies as it has. Just goes to show how well they got it right the first time. I certainly feel like I got my money's worth out of mine. I'm using it these days as an eye-level, right-angle finder on my E-M5, which I prefer to having to use the back LCD.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:16 PM   #17

Thanks for the good information. I will have to go back to looking. Stopped looking for a while after seeing them seem to get bid up into the $200s which is more than I wanted to pay used.

I got my E-PL3 right after it was released. Then it sort-of irked me that they released the E-PL5 so soon afterwords that had everything I wanted in the E-PL3 (except a viewfinder).

I may have to consider upgrading mine and re-selling the PL3.

Also, planning a trip to Peru (cuzco, machu piccu, etc.) this spring. I currently mostly use my Pan 20mm/1.7, and Pan 45-200mm lenses (also have the kit 14-42, but dont use it that much). Would you think I could make do with those? Kind of wish I had something a bit wider though.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:51 PM   #18

A trip to those sites in Peru is definitely a place where a lens like the 9-18 M. Zuiko superwide would be great to have. At much less money, the 7.5mm f3.5 Rokinon fisheye would also be a lot of fun.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:47 PM   #19

Yep, have been eyeing the Oly 9-18mm; quite a pricy lens though. Not really any good affordable wide-angle option available though

Last edited by Axanar; Mar 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axanar View Post
Yep, have been eyeing the Oly 9-18mm; quite a pricy lens though. Not really any good affordable wide-angle option available though
The lumix 14mm f2.5 is regularly around $175 on eBay, that and the rokinon 7.5mm fisheye $280 are the two budget wide angles.