Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:53 AM   #1

Default Texas Hummingbirds

For you guys in Texas, here is a great little video about a Texas photographer that likes to photograph Hummingbirds;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pBO-7eHVKU

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:56 AM   #2

Interesting and a man with a lot of patience.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:19 AM   #3

Yes, patience is one thing he definitely has. The other is the flash timing triggers. I'd certainly like to know a little more about those.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:31 AM   #4

Although his flash system appears a little outdated in some respects, the results are very good. I think the newer systems use wireless emitters where signals are emitted to each individual flash but I am not positive as I'm not into flash photography at all.....at least not yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Yes, patience is one thing he definitely has. The other is the flash timing triggers. I'd certainly like to know a little more about those.

Zig
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5

Those folks live in a really interesting part of East Texas. My photo club has made multiple trips to the Caddo Lake area, which looks much like some of the country in that video. Lots and lots of wildlife.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:18 AM   #6

I have tried learning about flashes, but it's like those people are speaking a different language. I don't even know what I don't know about them. The only thing I'm sure of is that when I try to use the one on camera it always looks awful.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

Zig
I should be able to duplicate to a large extent the lighting setup he used with the cactus triggers I used for the shoot at the dog event in the park last Fall. Two tripods, mounts with adapters for unbrellas or just use direct flash with the FL50R and FL600R units. I picked up two sets of the triggers so I have enough transceivers to fire up to three independent flash units via one transceiver mounted on the camera's hotshoe, avoiding all those cords.

Once the flash to subject exposure is manually calculated, you could use any lens and be any distance from the subject you want. The transciever in the camera's hot shoe will fire the flash units from as far away as 300 feet and do not require a line-of-sight to work. Flash exposure is all about the flash to subject distance, not camera to subject, so getting the flash off-camera gives you a lot of options. Being manually exposed, you'd also avoid the often annoying TTL pre-flash.

I may have to try this some day soon using Katherine's bird bath in her backyard.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I should be able to duplicate to a large extent the lighting setup he used with the cactus triggers I used for the shoot at the dog event in the park last Fall. Two tripods, mounts with adapters for unbrellas or just use direct flash with the FL50R and FL600R units. I picked up two sets of the triggers so I have enough transceivers to fire up to three independent flash units via one transceiver mounted on the camera's hotshoe, avoiding all those cords.

Once the flash to subject exposure is manually calculated, you could use any lens and be any distance from the subject you want. The transciever in the camera's hot shoe will fire the flash units from as far away as 300 feet and do not require a line-of-sight to work. Flash exposure is all about the flash to subject distance, not camera to subject, so getting the flash off-camera gives you a lot of options. Being manually exposed, you'd also avoid the often annoying TTL pre-flash.

I may have to try this some day soon using Katherine's bird bath in her backyard.
I would really love to see some bird images captured with the Flash set up you've mentioned all triggered off the E-M5.

I have a pair of remote receivers and a trigger made by Cowboy studios. It's a cheapie set up I got for the E-30. The pin locations for the Oly are different than for the Nikon. I just ordered another set - this time for Nikon. The set up costs around $30, so it wont kill me if the things dont work. Getting it to sync properly is my concern.

Zig

Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:36 PM   #9

Yes, the Cactus units I have will not do high-speed sync so I'd be limited to balancing the flash with daylight at 1/250 second, or just using the flash as the primary light source, especially late in the afternoon when the sun falls below the house and the bird bath is in the shade.

The more I think about it, the more I think I may give it a try this weekend. The only thing I'll have to deal with is Katherine's patience..... allowing me to do it while I'm supposed to be there visiting with her.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, the Cactus units I have will not do high-speed sync so I'd be limited to balancing the flash with daylight at 1/250 second, or just using the flash as the primary light source, especially late in the afternoon when the sun falls below the house and the bird bath is in the shade.

The more I think about it, the more I think I may give it a try this weekend. The only thing I'll have to deal with is Katherine's patience..... allowing me to do it while I'm supposed to be there visiting with her.
I realize that she knows you quite well. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mess with a good thing.