Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:46 AM   #1

Default Yep, still winter

Too much? First try at using the graduated filter tool in LR to bring up the dark ground. I then brought the darks back down in the graduated part. It's a pretty neat tool.

Obviously the sun's burnt out, but I thought it looked neat that way anyhow.

Any other suggestions, please. Still doesn't look quite "right" to me. White Balance maybe? Still it looks way nicer than I thought it would when I took it. Looking at it today ("the day after") I think I could still afford to bring the overall exposure up a notch too.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Mar 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:25 AM   #2

Looks more like a piece of art rather than a picture....I like it.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3

Agree with James. Nothing much you can do about the sun. I like the composition, AND.....I like the fact that ice is where you live and not where I live
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks. I like how that turned out too, though I'd be lying if I said I did it on purpose. Even if it's not technically, i think the white sun makes it feel a bit colder. The best part is that was actually like 55 degrees when I took this.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:10 PM   #5

Looks cold to me so the effect is good. I am looking forward to spring so I can get out and take some shots. I'm not one to brave the cold to go take pictures of snow.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:44 PM   #6

I like it. The black spots of the horizon and tree are great.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:27 PM   #7

Yep, still winter and its 55 degrees? That's just rubbing it in... I like your shot a lot and where you have taken it with the post processing. Just needs someone barefoot sunning themselves ;-)
For an experiment, (and I'm not really familiar with LR) can you make a layer of the ice foreground and then use the highlight to recover some of the flare off the ice? See how much is recoverable. Then I might be tempted to play with the colour temperature of that layer bringing back some blue-ish white, rather than the black-ish white. May not improve the shot you have, but it is a fun learning experiment to see what you can pull off for future use.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:08 AM   #8

Yeah, we've been back to normal (30s or so) since. Oh well. Haha.

I don't have anything that will let me do layers (unfortunately) but I like your ideas about working with the ice. I might try using the "Paintbrush" tool (or whavever it's called) to get some of that ice/change the color a bit. Like you said, I might end up screwing with it for a long time and not get anywhere, but that's fine.

I actually took a different shot from just a few minutes after this that I could REALLY use layers on. The sun was down far enough that the difference between ground and sky are too vast to even do the gradient on. I tried, and bringing up the ice "enough" revealed some disgusting and unusable purple blotches all over the place. I don't know what they are but they're obviously some artifact.

Luckily that shot I took several exposure brackets of so I might try some HDR. It would probably look better though if I could just put the sky from one shot onto the ground of another. Oh well. It might be time to learn about that more.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:03 PM   #9

Hey Sammy,

I really liked this shot on Flickr when I saw it there, I'm glad you shared it here too.

It is a great mood and expresses those long light winter sunsets very well.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:49 PM   #10

Thanks. The funny thing is that when I took that I thought it was a throwaway. The one I thought was going to be really cool had many problems. First of all, clouds came right when the sun was going down. More to the point, though is that the extreme differences in dark and light made "fixing" it impossible. I tried just using the grad filter again and it looked terrible. Either the sky had lost all details already, or when I tried to make the ground "brighter," I had to bring it up so high that all kinds of nasty purple splotches appeared everywhere.

Luckily, while I just took that first image off-the-cuff, I had set up this other one tripoded and bracketed. I made an HDR.

I don't know that it looks "fake," but there's definitely something still not right about it.