Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:16 PM   #31

Miss that it was the gf3, you need a hotshoe. Panny does not offer wireless ttl flash. With oly you can set up an external flash for wireless ttl opration.

What you can do is get a nissin di466 and use it as an optical slave. But you will need to read up on manual flash usage.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:24 PM   #32

OK. The flash is for my epm1 but just wanted to know if it was possible to use it with gf3 and if it is that complicated then it is not for me.
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:45 AM   #33

Hello again guys. I'm making my final desision. What are the pros and cons of Bower SFD9260 vs the Metz 44? Is worth the extra money the Metz. I use my camera for street and family activities nothingv fancy really.

Last edited by chiquito3; Mar 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM.
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post
Hello again guys. I'm making my final desision. What are the pros and cons of Bower SFD9260 vs the Metz 44? Is worth the extra money the Metz. I use my camera for street and family activities nothingv fancy really.
Metz has been around for a long time and you know you are getting a quality flash for your money, but you are paying a lot for the name (almost double the price of a Bower). When you look at the Bower at $99, it looks exactly like a Vivitar which costs $10 less.

When you take pictures indoors, you will find out direct flash even with a dedicated flash will not give the desirable exposure and best result all the time. Most people use bounced flash withe the flash head tilted up to bounce the light off the wall to get more desirable effect. But doing that you require to have more power on the flash to put out a strong light for this type of shooting. So it is imperative to have a flash with a high guide number, 40 or better. Both the Bower and Metz 44 fit into this category. Another thing you want to look for is whether the flash has a manual mode which you may end up using anyway. You don't always to have an automatic TTL mode to give you good flashed pictures, most of the time bounced flash in manual mode gives you better results.

I have a Canon 430EXII which I use on all of my cameras including an Olympus E-PL1 and a Panasonic G3 in manual mode bounced flash. It works great. I would get the Bower. So what if it breaks, just buy another one and it still costs the same as one Metz 44.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:00 PM   #35

Agree.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:47 PM   #36

There are times for ttl and it makes things easier for allot of siturations. I am on the side that it is better to have vs not having it. You have both the option to ttl and manual. Also the vivtar bowser are all the same flash just rebadge. And i did have a vivtar once apond a time for my canons. And it was not that great. It really let getting a sport car and putting on the cheapest tires for it.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:36 AM   #37

Canon DSLR never works well in E-TTL mode even with a Canon made flash. I use bounced flash with Canon flash rather than straight direct flash. The only DSLR I have experience on which works well in TTL flash is a Nikon. Inexpensive flash like the Bower or Vivitar will also give you TTL mode if you need it. For manual mode use, any flash with high power output is probably good enough. From time to time I bounced flash with an old Vivitar 283 Thyristor flash on my G3 and it work pretty well. Of course, it is very bulky since the flash is bigger than the camera.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:32 AM   #38

Nikon hands down has the best TTL system. But the canon is okay if you play around with it flash EV settings with TTL. I have used both canon and metz flashes, and have gotten good results both bouncing and direct. I also believe in sten flo and other add on flash items.

But with the olympus, I have found that the TTL is not bad either when using a TTL flash. Again a bit of flash EV down or up will get the right effect. But I would get a yongnou TTL for a canon ttl over the vivtar without a second thought on inexpensive front. The vivtar rebrand that is all over the place is not that well made. It is like if you are getting a sport car, at least get hankook performance tires for the car.

Also the metz has a higher quality plastic then the vivtar and the other rebrands of the same flash. And the build quality is a bit higher. Metz are actually made in German. And it is a solid unit. And as new m4/3 bodies and lenses comes out, the metz are user upgradeable via a USB port. So the flash ttl will stay updated from upgrade to upgrade of bodies. My Metz 48 AF-1 that I got for my canon T1i, have been upgrade with ever new firmware metz push out to support all the new canon bodies. And there are no compatibility issues. I did fine that some older canon flash like the 430ex had issues on newer bodies. So new firmware when new bodies come out makes a good quality flash a big plus.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote