Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Default E-PM1 non budget flash suggestions

I'm planning to buy a flash for my E-PM1 but the actual price of the original Olympus options is too high for my budget. My main photo shooting is for family portraits, landscapes and some group reunions at work or somewhere else.

Could you please advice of a good budget flash for my E-PM1?

Thanks.
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:51 PM   #2

I'm using a Metz 36 with a G1. It's perfectly matched to the 14-45mm range and is practically effortless to use in any mode.

They sell for @$90-$120 in the US, but it might seem pretty big for a compact m4/3. @250 grams with 4 AA batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Vivitar DF 183 is simlar to a Metz 24 for @$40, but I haven't seen any serious reviews of either.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:36 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. I would like it to be compact as the camera if possible. Btw how does this one you recomend compares with the Olympus options in specs and in size.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4

There are a fairly large number of flash units of all sizes and prices compatible with the Olympus flash system. Any of the units listed here will work..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...822+4062787798

I have seen numerous users in various micro four-thirds forum posts talk about how good the Nissin Di466 is.

One thing you need to consider when looking at flash units is how undesireable and harsh direct flash looks. You really should be choosing a flash that gives you the option of tilting the flash head up to bounce off a ceiling or to use a bounce attachment like one of these whenever possible..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ma

Compact is nice, but if you want decent-looking flash exposures, you really need to be thinking about a minimum of features that will allow you to achieve the results you want.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:42 PM   #5

So what would be your best pick for a low budget flash?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:54 PM   #6

Define what amount "low budget" is.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:20 PM   #7

I will prefer it under $100 but if the diff in performance between in one ouner 100 and other under 150 is too much then I think that I'll have to makecand effort to get that one.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:49 PM   #8

Looking at the list of flash units above, for that price I'd look at the Bower SFD9260 if you want the flexibility of a flash head that can be set to do bounce photography..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hoe_Mount.html

The E-PM bodies are tiny and just about any of these units other than the smallest like the above mentioned Vivitar DF183 are going to be a little top-heavy. The one advantage of the Vivitar unit compared to similar units is, it appears the flash head can be pointed up to bounce the flash. The downside is, it really is not that strong a flash so bouncing the flash is going to cut way down on the distance the light will be good enough to effectively light the subject.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:39 PM   #9

Thanks Greg
Is there a huge size difference between the 2 mentioned flash units?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:55 PM   #10

Hard to say for sure since the size specs for the Bower are not listed on the B&H site. It looks like it probably falls, size-wise, somewhere between an Olympus FL36 and FL600R, which I know means nothing to you....just thinking to myself

The Vivitar DF183 looks quite a bit smaller and is if what I am thinking about the Bower unit are right. You can probably google it and find the size specs listed somewhere on the 'net.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM.