Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:03 PM   #21

I'll PM you my address so you can send a cigar. Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Well looks like i am the proud new owner of a slik sprint pro ii tripod.... $60 ebay
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:11 AM   #22

Quote:
now this thread has got me off shopping too.. I really need a tripod I can put in my suitcase. My suitcase is your standard Samsonite overhead bin sized carry on. It has 21" of space inside.
.....NOT a recommendation, but have you seen these? They are a spinoff of Benro, I believe http://tinyurl.com/d3tvu7m

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Well looks like i am the proud new owner of a slik sprint pro ii tripod.... $60 ebay
Good price! I think I paid about 90 for mine, but that was like four or five years ago. The only issue I've had is that I lost the one little screw that tightens and ballhead. Luckily the big thumb "part" (whatever it's called) didn't drop away, and the screw itself was about a 19 cent replacement at the local hardware store.

The legs all adjust separately from each other, and there are three different levels you can use for the leg angle. Another nice feature is that you can remove the post and put it back in upside-down, allowing for really low setups.

Just don't expect much from the "carrying bag" that comes with it. It's kind of a waste.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Mar 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.....NOT a recommendation, but have you seen these? They are a spinoff of Benro, I believe http://tinyurl.com/d3tvu7m
Bob those are real nice, I like some of the colors, gold, titanium and green seem like they'd be really nice but not garish.

Although at 2.6 lbs it is actually heavier than the Slik Sprint Pro II that I went with, which is 18.5" folded and 2.07 lbs. (1.8 lbs for the legs w/o the ball head)*. If I was ever trying to go even more lightweight I could maybe replace the ball head, but then again I could also just go with my monopod. Although I've read that the Slik can be disassembled and a leg used by itself as a monopod, I bet one leg weighs less than my bogen monopod, hmm..

*Source: http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/DS-SPRINT_PRO_II.html

Last edited by ramcewan; Mar 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:17 AM   #25

I like SLIK and have a PRO 823 CF with a Vanguard SBH-100 head. The Sprint Pro II looks good. Let us know how it works for you.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:38 PM   #26

Congrats! Thats funny, the silk sprint pro II was actually the top one on my list that I had been considering for the past several months!
Axanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:43 AM   #27

Thanks Axanar - I am pretty excited to get it. I also went and bought a Slik SH-704E compact pan and tilt head which comes with a second quick release plate. I like ball heads on my monopod but I prefer the control of a pan and tilt head on a tripod, it's not always needed but when doing panoramas it is really helpful. I guess the Sprint Pro is available with the pan tilt as well. I might have actually been better off buying it with the pan tilt and then getting a Slik DQ-10 to adapt the bogen ball head on my monopod. This way though I can use the slik ball head on my monopod and the slik pan and tilt on the tripod and with both sharing the same quick release plate the camera can be connected to either without messing about with screws.

p.s. ugh looks like I made a mistake, the SH-704E uses the DQ-20 plate whereas the SBH-100DQ which uses the DQ-10 plates...

Last edited by ramcewan; Mar 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:48 AM   #28

I don't really miss the pan/tilt as much as I thought I would.

One minor annoyance to make note of (since you mentioned the plate): on our E-PL2, you need to remove the plate in order to open the battery compartment. Just something to keep in mind.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I don't really miss the pan/tilt as much as I thought I would.

One minor annoyance to make note of (since you mentioned the plate): on our E-PL2, you need to remove the plate in order to open the battery compartment. Just something to keep in mind.
ugh well that was something I was hoping to avoid but oh well, can't have everything.

It's a shame that you can't recharge the batter using the camera, i.e. plug the USB cord into power and recharge the battery. That would solve this little issue and actually get me to use the USB for transfer as well, as it stands the card sits in the back of my gear cabinet and I transfer photos using a card reader.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:44 PM   #30

just keep a quarter or a nickel in your pocket and it shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Mar 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM.