Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:43 AM   #1

Default ....intended for Greg C, cuz it is quicker this way

Greg, I went to RGLP for a quick check from across the waterway back to the park with the E-P3 and 14-54 to check length.

These http://tinyurl.com/bkzt9b5 run from 14 - 28 mm and the darn waterway kinda gets in the way at the closer viewing angle. I did not go up the hill to the street (Legends Way) because I thought the trees between would then be in the way of a clear look in the park.

Also, looking SE is the only direction that will work, Cowboys Stadium for background is not possible. When the setup there is done and the lights are on I think we will be able to find good results. It could be that with a wider focal look from 'NOT' across the waterway will be best, there is actually room to look across & along the park from the SW and W & inside the waterway.

I did not have but a very short time there, needed to get back home.....

Maybe this will give you a quick idea of what we want to do after boothss lights are on, this one from last year @ 18mm

Jim C ... this is about a park event I will be shooting soon. Greg will be helping me for some 'night time' shots we are working on with our m43 gear.

If this post is inappropriate please remove it or ask me to.

tnx, Bob

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:29 AM   #2

Bob - how do you like the 14-54 on your e-p3? I've been thinking of getting the mk II version for my e-pl2 as it is the fastest zoom currently available short of moving up to the Lumix 12-35 X series.

Also if I upgrade to an OM-D it would be splash and dust proof with the mmf-3
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:37 AM   #3

I see what you're talking about, but I do have one idea in mind that might work

Won't hurt trying anyway...
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:43 PM   #4

I have the Mk II version and I am not aware that it is dust/splash proof. Did you mean the Lumix X series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Bob - how do you like the 14-54 on your e-p3? I've been thinking of getting the mk II version for my e-pl2 as it is the fastest zoom currently available short of moving up to the Lumix 12-35 X series.

Also if I upgrade to an OM-D it would be splash and dust proof with the mmf-3
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I have the Mk II version and I am not aware that it is dust/splash proof. Did you mean the Lumix X series?
I was talking about the four thirds 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 Mk ii, you have the micro four thirds 14-42mm Mk ii
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Bob - how do you like the 14-54 on your e-p3?
I like the results very much from it and I have used the EC-20 with it on the E-P3 and the results were very good. I have the 1st-gen, I bought the 14-54 & 50-200 in 2006 (paid near $1400 for the pair). Both work well with the P3 but the auto focus is slow as you might expect though the results can be worth it.

Like the FT 9-18 the 14-54 and 50-200 drive results of quality so depending on the image subject where quick auto focus is not required then they work for me. I've got the lenses so I use them with the P3, especially the 9-18 & 70-300.... the 14-54 not so much any more, it usually stays mounted to the E-3.

E-P3, EC-20, 14-54 @ 108mm f/7.1 (see exif)

E-P3, EC-20, 14-54 @ 108mm f/7.1 (see exif)

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:52 PM   #7

thanks for the answers and nice shots with the ec-20!

I've already got the FT 70-300mm and the 25mm so I am used to the focusing speed and noise of the CDAF compatible lenses.

My main interest is how it handles low light on the e-p3? I have a three prime kit it could replace in theory (14mm f2.5, 19mm f2.8, 25mm f2.8). (It obviously couldn't replace the 45mm f1.8 ) I do like the 14/19/25 combo but if I could get the same performance out of a single zoom lens that I get out of the 14/19/25 without breaking the bank I'd be up for that even if it was big

Last edited by ramcewan; Mar 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:35 PM   #8

I too have been wondering about this lens while waiting for Oly to come out with a M. version, if ever. As to how it handles on the micro bodies, I have a Nikkor 105mmf/2.5 that is almost the same size and weight. With the adaptor it does feel like a fairly large chunk of glass out front of the e-pl1. But back in film days it was my favourite lens, felt the best balanced. So I guess one could get used to something this big on a e-plx body. Just have been spoiled by the lightness of the M. form factor.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I see what you're talking about, but I do have one idea in mind that might work

Won't hurt trying anyway...

Greg, many thanks for Saturday.

I've nearly finished with the AOTG photos, about 1/4 what I did last year. with Friday evening closing early, Saturday - what it was and Sunday cancelled entirely we had a rather uneventful show this year for sure.

You & I missed an opportunity, about an hour after you left..... it cleared (quit drizzling and the fog was gone) and the lighted venue was exactly what we wished for so I walked through with just the camera and 14-54 and did snapshot comps of what we wanted and will want to do next year.

Too bad that outdoor events scheduled a year in advance have to deal with the weather but it was what it was.

Here are the few comps http://tinyurl.com/c4yc5lx I did, the scenes were clear and timed exposures would have done alright but it was getting too late to mess with it and I was getting tired.

Thanks again for everything.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:29 PM   #10

Very cool night shots!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote