Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:15 AM   #11

Thanks Greg, I'll check it out.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:25 PM   #12

James, the nice thing I liked about LR was that the work flow seemed intuitive, it just made good sense. Of course all the early papers I read on the raw process were written by Adobe guys so that may have shaped my thinking. If there still is a trial give it a go. Did I buy it? Actually bought AfterShot Pro, it runs very quick, well written code. They have a 30 day trial (look for Corel Aftershot Pro) http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...anguageCode=en
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:45 AM   #13

I did a 30 day trial of ASP and although it is much better than PSE 10, it just wasn't what I was looking for. I'm going to give LR a try if they have a 30 day free trial.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I did a 30 day trial of ASP and although it is much better than PSE 10, it just wasn't what I was looking for. I'm going to give LR a try if they have a 30 day free trial.

If you get LR, I'd recommend getting one of the "how to" books to get started. I have the Scott Kelby one, which seems OK. It was just a bit rough for me to get started.

I don't really have any other RAW processors to compare it to, but it seems pretty great to me.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:47 AM   #15

KulaCube said "Actually bought AfterShot Pro, it runs very quick, well written code."

It is well written and continues to be coded by the orig Bibble Labs team in Austin, TX. ASPro compares equal to LR but has no demand for cataloging but can be done exactly the same as LR.

In the end it will be whichever the user likes best but there are simple 'betters' with ASPro and it as software is a really great choice, especially purchase price.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:04 AM   #16

My dabble into DxO probably isn't going to last beyond the 30 days I can play with it for free. I started having issues with some files last night I couldn't figure out with the red azalea blooms. You can start to see it at this size, but peer at bigger-size version and they have a "blobby" look to them and I'm not seeing anything within the program to correct it..

and Photoshop handles it with no issue, other than the less vivid coloration unless I pump them up, which I did not do here..

And PTLens seems to do about the same job in terms of correcting distortion not completely handled by the in-file data used in Adobe camera raw. PTLens is a plugin for Photoshop that only works effectively on the file if you do not do any straightening/cropping in the raw converter, so if I have (and I often do) files that are not level as well as I like, I have to first process the raw file, open the resulting JPEG in Photoshop, apply the PTLens profile, then straighten/crop the file.

Here's one image captured at 9mm and processing DxO with its' profile..

and the same file after being run through ACR, then PTLens in Photoshop, with levelling that resulting in a minimal amount of cropping..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:07 AM   #17

Following Greg's lead, I also downloaded the DxO Optics 8, did a quick spin last night and saw some features I liked -- especially the overlay information that tells you the image is being updated. Not a big deal but sometimes it seems that AS Pro is not refreshing and waiting is well blah! The two programs probably take the same time to refresh, I just like the notification.
DxO does pop out nice renders of the raw information with its presets and it does allow going deep into the process.
If you are to judge (very shallowly) a program by the manual, no contest DxO wins. It is even formatted in landscape to better fill your screen.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:34 AM   #18

Wow, those azaleas are just not friendly with that processing. Almost like they are colour blooming. Might just have to dig back into the hard drive and see if there are any raws my mine to see what happens.
By the way, incredibly jealous that you have rhodos and azaleas to photography already. The leaves on our rhodos are tightly curled up to protect themselves from the cold dry air.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:24 PM   #19

Yep, it looked like that from the default settings. I'm gonna play with it some more tonight and see what/if there's a solution.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:49 AM   #20

Just to follow up on the reds, I cannot find any azaleas in raw, converted all those to the DNG which cannot be opened with DxO, but found some very red Japanese maple to see if I had the same "wobble" when processed with DxO -- came out nice and clear.

Oh, and my comments on the manual being a winner, that was the "get started" version , the real manual wastes screen space just like any other portrait formatted one.
Attached Images