Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1

Default Nik plugins.

I've been interested in the Silver Efx plug-in for a while now. This deal might be enough for me to make the jump.

http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollec...o%2Fmain.shtml

Does anyone have any experience using these?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:26 PM   #2

I have never used Nik Software. I jumped on this deal with a 15% discount code. I was about to buy HDR Efex Pro 2 before the new pricing came out. I am glad I waited. I can't wait to use it. Nik also offers some great training to get the most out of their software. I highly recommend it.
robertbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:21 PM   #3

I received a set of Nik Software color affects filters when I purchased something......can't remember what, but I do have them as a plug-in in Photoshop CS6. Haven't used them much. Played with them a time or two but nothing beyond that. They seem sort-of like a digital version of buying the Cokin filter system......which they might not like being compared to.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:31 PM   #4

Hi,

I currently use CS6 for the bulk of my photo editing. I did, however, buy the Silver FX pro2 plug-in and find that it does a good job of converting color photographs into black & white. There are a lot of different B&W filters, with each being able to be controlled thru the use of sliders. The sliders work very much like the ones found in Camera RAW. As a result, the learning curve was pretty flat&short.
I would recommend it to anyone that liked to convert their color photos to black & white.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I currently use CS6 for the bulk of my photo editing. I did, however, buy the Silver FX pro2 plug-in and find that it does a good job of converting color photographs into black & white. There are a lot of different B&W filters, with each being able to be controlled thru the use of sliders. The sliders work very much like the ones found in Camera RAW. As a result, the learning curve was pretty flat&short.
I would recommend it to anyone that liked to convert their color photos to black & white.

Zig
Zig,
Apparently they are offering "upgrades" into the whole suite for anyone who purchased one of the components. So you may want to keep an eye on your email inbox . . .

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/445...ftware-plugins

"If you previously bought any of these plugins, Google isn’t going to leave you in the cold for already having dropped a lot of money. If you purchased any individual plugin within the last five years, you get the entire collection for free. If you spent more than $149 on plugins since February 22nd of this year, you’ll be refunded the difference."

I haven't pushed the button yet but think I might give it a whirl. Nice to hear about the learning curve . . .
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Zig,
Apparently they are offering "upgrades" into the whole suite for anyone who purchased one of the components. So you may want to keep an eye on your email inbox . . .

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/445...ftware-plugins

"If you previously bought any of these plugins, Google isnít going to leave you in the cold for already having dropped a lot of money. If you purchased any individual plugin within the last five years, you get the entire collection for free. If you spent more than $149 on plugins since February 22nd of this year, youíll be refunded the difference."

I haven't pushed the button yet but think I might give it a whirl. Nice to hear about the learning curve . . .
I did receive the e-mail notification from Google regarding the free download which I installed last night. Haven't had a chance to see the entire collection as yet.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:08 PM   #7

First attempt at using one of plugins, Viveza. I only played for a little while, but its main ability seems to be to change certain portions of the image while leaving others alone. I created a few main "control points" which allowed me to remove the saturation in the top part of the bird feeder, for example.

(Before an after):

The second image looks a little more exposed to me, but that could well have been because of something I did. Anyhow, it seems pretty powerful and fun. A few other adjustments I made were some more contrast and color to the birdseed, then another adjustment to the bird. The background looks a little changed to me at places too, but I still like it so i left it alone.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Mar 31, 2013 at 11:14 PM.