Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:05 PM   #1

Default ....the E-P3 & EM-5 do an arts festival

WOW, last weekend was the most miserable weather for an outdoor arts festival but we (Greg C. & I) had a go at it anyway.

For me I used the E-P3 with the FT 9-18 while Greg used his EM-5 and a m9-18 or m14-150. He may have slipped in a 12mm too but I am not sure.

Anyway the Olys did a remarkable job even though it was COLD! WINDY! WET! and have I said just plain ICKY.
In contrast to our last year's show when it was 85F with clear sunshiny days it did not happen that way this year.
Shame too because the artists & venue for our show (Art On The Greene in Arlington, TX USA) are outstanding.

Here are a couple from Greg.

GC - EM-5 m9-18

GC - EM-5 m14-150

BB - E-P3 FT9-18

For a 3rd file of the work of the artist from Bulgaria this is from my E-3 & ZD14-54 I FL-50. The EM-5 & E-P3 were with non-auto WB while the E-3 was at auto-WB.

A very tricky day for this type photography, much color & rapidly changing inclement sky with a snow field of white tents.

The weekend galleries are here => http://tinyurl.com/c6ko96a

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:09 PM   #2

The fudge was quite excellent too. Stll munching on that hunk. I need to send the glass artist an email so we can maybe shoot some of her stuff in the gallery.

Not half bad. I really liked those night shots earlier though. I wish I would have stuck around for that.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:18 PM   #3

...do you have Leslie's email?

Here is the piece I did while you two were talking, it turned out pretty decent except for shadows.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4

Nice pictures Bob, you did a great job with the WB, it looks very standard on the different scenarios.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:41 PM   #5

Nice shots, guys. Good compositions, and the colors and exposures were spot-on.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:55 PM   #6

Thanks Marcelo and Steven for the comments. This year it was pretty much a weather disaster for the show but I did get enough files to represent what we had.

Last year I made more than 800 for the 3-days, this year only a few more than 200 for the show. Day 1 was closed early and day 3 was cancelled.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Mar 31, 2013, 8:33 AM   #7

Very nice!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:21 AM   #8

Hi Bob/Greg,

A beautiful series of images taken of really interesting works art. I can't say that all of the artwork are my cup of tea. I do, in particular, like the floral images painted on canvas The sunflower in the corner covering two panels is particularly interesting.

One point; I can't see much if any image quality difference between the E-P3 vs the Em-5.

Can you?

Thanks for sharing and sorry about the weather.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:02 AM   #9

Raising shadows at any ISO setting and going to ISO 800 and higher are where I see a difference between what I used to shoot with an E-P3 and what I do today eith an E-M5.

I did not dare raise shadow values, pretty much at all with E-P3 files where I will go up to 70 or even 80 with the blacks and shadows sliders in ACR with E-M5 files with no fear of resulting snowy grain.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Raising shadows at any ISO setting and going to ISO 800 and higher are where I see a difference between what I used to shoot with an E-P3 and what I do today eith an E-M5.

I did not dare raise shadow values, pretty much at all with E-P3 files where I will go up to 70 or even 80 with the blacks and shadows sliders in ACR with E-M5 files with no fear of resulting snowy grain.
Hi Greg,

Well said, I too, avoid messing around with the shadow sliders in CS6. If anything, I usually add shadow when post processing floral shots using the E-P2.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote