Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
cool shot, what software did you use for stitching?

Microsoft ICE? I had actually just downloaded it yesterday afternoon before I made that. I had another stitching program, but I must not do panoramas very often because it never did make it over to my new hard drive. It did a good job I think (except for the highlights thing, I think that was because of converting to Tiff). I took a few different "takes" of the pan and the others didn't do so well. The shots I tried with the 14, especially, had some weird perspective issues along with issues where two images didn't quite come together right . . . railings that don't quite meet in the middle, etc. Honestly though, I blame the Idiot Cameraman for those issues more than anything.

For fun, here's a full res upload of the shot (large!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6615422...n/photostream/

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Apr 3, 2013 at 8:23 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:33 AM   #12

Very dramatic and nice. I doubt too many people are going to look to see if railings match up. The dramatic look of the scene will deter anyone from doing that. Great job in my opinion.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:24 AM   #13

I did not bother looking that close either. I did peer around quite a bit but it was more of an overall look to take in the scene, certainly not so close as to inspect the micro detail.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:41 AM   #14

Haha, yeah, thanks. I certainly didn't put it together with 8000x4000 viewing in mind.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Microsoft ICE? I had actually just downloaded it yesterday afternoon before I made that. I had another stitching program, but I must not do panoramas very often because it never did make it over to my new hard drive. It did a good job I think (except for the highlights thing, I think that was because of converting to Tiff). I took a few different "takes" of the pan and the others didn't do so well. The shots I tried with the 14, especially, had some weird perspective issues along with issues where two images didn't quite come together right . . . railings that don't quite meet in the middle, etc. Honestly though, I blame the Idiot Cameraman for those issues more than anything.

For fun, here's a full res upload of the shot (large!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6615422...n/photostream/
hmm... yeah I've found that if you apply lens correction before you put the images into ICE it can result in things not lining up, seems especially for the 14 which has significant barrel distortion.

ICE performs automatic exposure blending which is likely why the highlights might be getting clipped. I haven't found a way to turn it off, so best bet is to try to take all pictures with the same settings either by using burst mode, manual mode or scene/panorama. This should minimize what ICE does to blend them, in the end though it seems you are subject to what it thinks is best.

I love these big panoramas when viewed in full size you can really explore the scene, thanks for sharing!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Very dramatic and nice. I doubt too many people are going to look to see if railings match up. The dramatic look of the scene will deter anyone from doing that. Great job in my opinion.
Dittos. That is such a dramatic shot. It looks great when viewed on a big monitor.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote