Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Lightning Storm

Yesterday the weather was beautiful, almost 80 degrees and beautiful clear sky's, but everything changed so fast and strong winds started to hit my house and then the lightning show started...

This is the first time I had chance to capture this kind of images and glad to have a weather sealed system with me.

Have a great day everyone.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Apr 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:24 AM   #2

That's pretty awesome. I especially like the next to last one.

Everyone knew this question was coming, but what kind of settings did you use? Very long shutter speeds?
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3

There's not many subjects more frustrating to try and shoot than lightning. Putting your self out there is dangerous for one, and you have to wind up shooting long multi-second exposures to try and capture it.

This new Phottix electronic release I purchased for my E-M5 is definitely something I am going to give a spin with lightning shooting as soon as we get some storms worthy of the attempt. I'll be able to set the tripod-mounted camera out on the deck at home and control the camera from indoors or, outdoors somewhere else I could shoot from inside my car.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
That's pretty awesome. I especially like the next to last one.

Everyone knew this question was coming, but what kind of settings did you use? Very long shutter speeds?
Thank you Sammy,

I was playing with long exposures and I noticed the pictures exposed for more than 10 seconds the lightning faded with the amount of light the sky is having for the storm, so I set my camera for exposures of 10-or 13 seconds max.

In some cases when I catches the light in the first 2 or 3 seconds and the camera is open for the rest 7 or 8 seconds I just covered the lens with my black wallet (picture #3).

I used ISO 200 , F/12, f/16 , aperture priority and auto white balance.

The RAW files were processed in Photoshpt CS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
There's not many subjects more frustrating to try and shoot than lightning. Putting your self out there is dangerous for one, and you have to wind up shooting long multi-second exposures to try and capture it.

This new Phottix electronic release I purchased for my E-M5 is definitely something I am going to give a spin with lightning shooting as soon as we get some storms worthy of the attempt. I'll be able to set the tripod-mounted camera out on the deck at home and control the camera from indoors or, outdoors somewhere else I could shoot from inside my car.
It is dangerous doing this in an open field, I shoot if from my house front deck and I was covered so the camera didn't receive any rain.

I used the corner of my house frame to focus the lens because it was dark outside and the camera was having focusing on the black sky.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote