Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:50 PM   #1

Default Clark Gardens- Almost More Than I Bargained For...

Drove to Weatherford today to shoot the Spring-time views at this beautiful small town garden, and being a small-town, in the middle of the country garden in North Central Texas you're likely to see just about anything.

Left the 14-150 M. Zuiko at home and used the 12-50 M. Zuiko with the E-M5 today, along with the 75-300 and the 9-18 M. Zuiko.

I did not wind up taking even one image with the 9-18 M. Zuiko, and only 3-4 images with the 75-300.

When I framed and captured this first image, I did not see the long "object" along the side of the bridge..

It was only when I walked over and was about two steps from the bridge that I noticed it. I stepped back, put on the 75-300 and captured this at 281mm. Needless to say, I did not walk over the bridge..

The rest of the day was much less exciting, but I was very happy with the images I captured with the 12-50. The replacement I received is much better compared to the original copy I had..

Indian Paint Brush and Wisteria..

One of the biggest plusses with the E-M5 compared to earlier models....it can be the middle of the morning or mid-day with harsh mixed light, side light or even back light and it does not matter. The dynamic range you can pull out of one raw file is amazing for someone used to much less capability prior..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2

Amazing series of shots. I would go back and see if you can sell a print to that snake -- quite the portrait!
Interesting that you are having some more joy with this new sample of the 12-50. Reading over at DPReview there seem to be far more favourable comments on that lens. I wish they could have built one that matches the four thirds in terms of speed. sigh.

These were shot during the harsh light -- nice recoveries.great sensor.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:29 PM   #3

.......love the snake, wish I had been there to photograph it with my 70-300 + EC20.

The gardens look very nice and the 12-50 did really well. I did get over to our Friday night show and it was good, glad I got there since I could not go to Weatherford today.

Oh yeah, today was the Arlington Kite festival at River Legacy, that would have been fun too.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Amazing series of shots. I would go back and see if you can sell a print to that snake -- quite the portrait!
Interesting that you are having some more joy with this new sample of the 12-50. Reading over at DPReview there seem to be far more favourable comments on that lens. I wish they could have built one that matches the four thirds in terms of speed. sigh.
Yes, this sensor with a 12-60mm f2.8-4 M. Zuiko would be one helluva combination.

The one thing the 12-50 M. Zuiko is, is tiny compared to the four-thirds Zuiko. Now I have two standard zooms that are both good options with the 12-50 and 14-150. Mechanically, the 14-150 is much smoother/slicker in operation compared to the 12-50, which obviously had the wide and and macro advantage, but zoomed to 100-150mm the 14-150 can do some excellent closeup shooting and give you a much wider shooting range without having to change lenses.

Looking at the 12-50 M. Zuiko and 14-150mm M. Zuiko, the two are almost the exact same size when zoomed to the wide end..

Of course, zoomed to the long end the difference is much different, but that extra length does get you 3 times the tele range, and you can see here it (at least, mine) shows no zoom creep. The dampening in the zoom action is almost the same, but smoother and better feeling compared to the 40-150 M. Zuiko.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:44 AM   #5

I like the detail in the snake shot. Is it a poisonous variety?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Indeed, it was. Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:21 PM   #7

"Is it a poisonous variety?"
"Indeed, it was."

Sorry, that would have scared the willies out of me, not a chance for a nice steady hand for such a good shot! I would have been back the car and remained inside the city limits for a while. Around here the most dangerous thing we have to contend with is a SUV pulling into the donut/coffee shop drivethru while on the driver is on the phone.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:40 PM   #8

......snake! What I said, the 70-300 with 'doubler' = parking lot, but it is a really nice photo.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:30 PM   #9

great series and good to see that the replacement 12-50 is working well for you. It is good to have the weather sealing option on the OM-D
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:45 AM   #10

Nice pictures Greg, the 12-50mm is my favorites lens..!!

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote