Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1

Default Returned the Sigma 19mm

Could not resist the price point. Thought it would make a nice lens for when we go back to Europe this summer, a bit faster than what I have for the interiors of the cathedrals.
Nice focus response, quick. Nice feel, the manual focus ring nice and big, easy to quickly operate. Feather light on the E-PL1, thought I had found a good walk about lens.
But...
Something about this lens just did not seem to be hitting the sweet spot for me. It may well have been the example that I had. Close shots came out very nice, but shooting into the distance just did not seem, well, not exactly sharp. Final stroke I took the lens to shoot the side of a barn, nice and contrasty, but no joy.
I really had wanted to like this lens... Oh well

Great shots of our poodle, the crocus and helebore. But the harbour and the swan shots just not quite there.
Attached Images

KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:55 AM   #2

Sorry to hear you didn't care for it. Did you get in on the 2 for $199 deal?

I like mine, I wouldn't say it is a great landscape lens like you observed. The Panasonic Lumix 14mm f2.5 is better. But for snapshots and general photography it has worked out pretty well for me, basically replacing the four thirds Zuiko 25mm f2.8 I had been using as my general purpose lens.

For me I am just biding time until Olympus releases a fast zoom or the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 comes down in price. I'm really hoping for a micro four thirds version of the Zuiko 14-54mm MK II f2.8-3.5, for the same $599 as the four thirds version.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3

I would have to agree with you Kula, based on the photos I would say it's an OK lens but not razor sharp for sure. But then again, what can you expect for the price. There aren't too many lenses out there that are truly considered bargain lenses.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
I'm really hoping for a micro four thirds version of the Zuiko 14-54mm MK II f2.8-3.5, for the same $599 as the four thirds version.
Bingo!! I might even be willing to buy one of these (used) but seems to be a rare day that someone wants to part with one. And maybe a bit on the large size for mounting on a Pen.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting from the Sigma -- knew it would not be a razor-sharp lens. At that price point it would have been a miracle lens if it truly was snappy sharp. Just that some of the images were not exactly in focus/soft -- hard to describe. And it could well have been that example of the lens that was not functioning up to spec. Basically, it came down to that I like the images from the original kit lens just that bit more. Plus the kit lens has the extra function of zooming without having to walk -- sometimes a handy feature when your subject is swimming by.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:16 PM   #5

There are plenty of the original 14-54mm Zuiko's on eBay that are up for bid. Most have been going for 200-250 bucks. That is the lens I want to get for my E-3. At present, all I have is the Zuiko 35mm macro and with a field of view of 70mm, it's not exactly a good walk around lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Bingo!! I might even be willing to buy one of these (used) but seems to be a rare day that someone wants to part with one. And maybe a bit on the large size for mounting on a Pen.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting from the Sigma -- knew it would not be a razor-sharp lens. At that price point it would have been a miracle lens if it truly was snappy sharp. Just that some of the images were not exactly in focus/soft -- hard to describe. And it could well have been that example of the lens that was not functioning up to spec. Basically, it came down to that I like the images from the original kit lens just that bit more. Plus the kit lens has the extra function of zooming without having to walk -- sometimes a handy feature when your subject is swimming by.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:23 PM   #6

The up close does look good, but I have to agree the further out shots seem to be off. Panny 20 1.7 pretty much the same range, but it does shoot nice a sharp at a distance as well. But you need to stop down on sunny days.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
There are plenty of the original 14-54mm Zuiko's on eBay that are up for bid. Most have been going for 200-250 bucks. That is the lens I want to get for my E-3. At present, all I have is the Zuiko 35mm macro and with a field of view of 70mm, it's not exactly a good walk around lens.
Yes, I have seen a fair number of the original versions of this lens. It is the version 2 that I would be looking at -- it "focuses" with the pens, the original version is not recommended on the pens. Currently there is an Olympus Zuiko 14-54 mm f2.8/3.5 Evolt version listed on Henry's ebay store for about $125
Old Apr 14, 2013, 4:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Yeah but I think if you put it on the OM-D EM-5 gripped up with the mmf-3 you'd have a pretty darned nice all-weather sealed setup. Give me that and a weather sealed 70-300 or 75-300 Zuiko and I'd be a haappy camper.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9

This kind-of reminds me of the performance of the earlier Olympus 17mm f2.8. There's a group of people who swear by it. All I ever did was swear every time I tried to use it. A (relatively-speaking) slow f2.8 prime in the 17-35mm range for this series should be somewhat easy to make and be very good. Olympus went too over-the-top in wanting to make their model so small. Not sure about this Sigma. It's not a pancake design so should have been a pretty straight-forward optical design.

Like so many inexpensive lenses, I would imagine less than stringent quality controls result in the odd lemon units.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:33 AM   #10

I have the 17mm f2.8 which is by far not the best ... but also not the worst. I like it when I need something small (i.e. Street Photography or Travel).

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote