Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:53 AM   #1

Default transcend wifi card class 10 now available

Just saw this is now an option. Class 10 wifi enabled SD card allows direct transfer to windows or mac as well as iOS and android. $45 for the 16gb model. Just ordered one as I have wanted to stop doing the SD card shuffle from camera to reader for a while and was just waiting for a reasonably priced fast class one to give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:04 AM   #2

That is a fair price and it has a purpose but for myself it doesn't. Let us know how well it works.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3

Of all the "stuff" one has to buy to shoot digitally, I do not think anything has gotten cheaper over time than memory. I can remember buying my first 1GB card, and paying close to $300 for it. If someone told me back then 16GB cards would cost under $50 I would have laughed at them.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:23 PM   #4

I remember my first computer, an Apple with a green monochrome screen and a tractor type printer. All for only 2499.00. No windows but it came with a word type program and something similar to Excel but no where near as elaborate.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:31 AM   #5

Default initial thoughts

So I got the card yesterday and started doing some testing.

The card looks like a normal card and fits normally into the camera.

When you turn the camera on it presents a WIFI network called WIFISD.

The network can be accessed via a computer with WIFI receiver and once connected the card can be accessed via a web page on that network.

Alternately a mobile device (Android, iOS or Kindle) can also connect to the network and access the card via an App available in their respective stores.

The interface within the App and within the browser window are fairly similar, you can browse to the contents of the card organized as video or photo. There is also a settings page which allows you to change the network info and other things. You can access both JPG and RAW files from either the app or the webpage interface.

There is however one Tragic Flaw I discovered in the webpage interface from a computer. You seem to only be able to download one file at a time. As you can imagine it is nearly a deal breaker since a day's shooting might yield hundreds of files.

Using the apps on Android you are able to download multiple files so this seems to be purely a feature that was not implemented in the webpage user interface. Hopefully a software update can fix this.

Transfer speed is fairly fast in this direct connect mode, on par with using a USB cable connected to the camera. There is also an "internet" mode where the card connects to a router and multiple devices can then access it on the same router network, I haven't tested this yet.

It also has a really neat feature for the Apps in "Shoot & View" mode it allows you to preview JPGs as they are shot on the mobile device. This means you could shoot something and have people be able to review the shots in real time. Obviously you have to shoot JPG or RAW + JPG for this to work and if you want the JPG to appear quickly a lower res setting is recommended.

While I don't see myself using this feature much to give others a near real time view to what I am shooting I would likely use this feature in conjunction with my wireless shutter trigger to review images remotely as well. For example when I put my camera in the tree preset on the feeder it would have been nice to see whether or not I was getting the shot or needed to adjust the position without having to take the camera out of the tree and check the results. I will almost definitely use this capability. This would also come in handy if doing group photos, you would be able to tell if you got the shot from a quick peek at your smartphone instead of having to go back to the camera and risk annoying the group.

Last edited by ramcewan; Apr 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the information and review Ramcewan

I need to get a memory upgrade ready for my Nevada visit and this looks the one. I can't believe the price either, I can remember way back in the early 80's paying $50 for a 50MB HD.... yes I said that right .... 50 MEGABYTES!!!!
Nikon_2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:23 PM   #7

Quote:
I would likely use this feature in conjunction with my wireless shutter trigger to review images remotely as well.
Actually, I had not thought of this combo...... that (IMO) would be a reasonable usage for the card.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:22 PM   #8

I'm sure it will be useful for many applications. As for now, I wouldn't have much use for it, I'd just as soon plug the SD card into the computer and fire away. If I had a laptop it might be a different story. I do have an Android 7" tablet though........Mmmmmmmmm.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Actually, I had not thought of this combo...... that (IMO) would be a reasonable usage for the card.
Yes I can imagine some things like macro photography that could really be aided by using a tablet to view the results in near real time.

And just to update those who read my Tragic Flaw above. I have heard from Transcend that they plan a firmware update at the end of May that will allow batch download from the browser interface.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:44 PM   #10

I won't have to worry about trying this out in my E-3 as I couldn't find a CF card model. Funny how B&H list the E-3 as a compatible camera but the
E-3 doesn't even use a SD card.