Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Thumbs up My thought on the discussions for using a ZD 14-54

............. on the E-P3 (PEN in general) is that if you have one, USE IT.

The Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 (I or II) doesn't get great positive remarks from the m43 users but I wonder just how many of these folks have actually used the lens to the extent that they should say the lens 'does not work on the Olympus PEN cameras'.

As everyone in this forum knows I use my full size 43 lenses on my E-P3 with an MMF-2 adapter. These include the 9-18, 40-150, 70-300, 50-200 non-SWD and the 14-54 type-I. I do have m43 14-42 & 40-150 and use them too, I will likely get a m12-50 when I upgrade the E-P3 camera.

Everyone including myself knows that the full size 43 lenses take considerably longer to auto-focus than do m43 on the same PEN camera.

But does it take so long that the argument should be that '.....the lenses are not recommended for, or, that the lenses won't work on the m43 cameras'. For myself who does not shoot BIF, fast-moving, non-anticipated happenings the argument does not apply.... so I encourage usage, if one has them, of the 43 lenses on the PEN cameras should your style for photography fit. The lenses too add a lot to the 'handling' of the small cameras when one has large hands, I do.

As for camera/lens size, I use Think Tank models 5 and 7 bags. It all depends on the photographer whether the miniscule hardware sizes of the m43 packages warrants black listing the larger 'FT' lenses.

Particularly I read that for the ZD 14-54, the type-I is not acceptable, phooey on that notion.

Here are some images I made a couple days ago to support my comments here in favor of the type-I ZD 14-54 on my E-P3.

....exposure mode 'M' shot at various focal lengths, all were Auto Focus

....w/EC20 - 28mm @ f/[email protected] 28mm -- f/8

....w/EC20 - 28mm @ f/[email protected] 108mm -- f/8

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:13 PM   #2

Optically it doesn't get much better than the original 14-54 f2.8-3.5. The only reason for selling mine was when I moved to the 12-60. From what I remember it's a relatively compact lens and is definitely fully sealed, so pairing it with the sealed MMF-3 on an E-M5 would give one a fully sealed outfit for working in sandy/rainy environments.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:44 PM   #3

Bob,

Your pictures prove your points quite nicely.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:57 PM   #4

I have to agree with Zig. Bob, I didn't realize you lived in a nice high class neighborhood, good for you!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Optically it doesn't get much better than the original 14-54 f2.8-3.5. The only reason for selling mine was when I moved to the 12-60. From what I remember it's a relatively compact lens and is definitely fully sealed, so pairing it with the sealed MMF-3 on an E-M5 would give one a fully sealed outfit for working in sandy/rainy environments.
Barring a new fast zoom that is affordable from Olympus this will be my next set up if I ever get an om-d em-5. Even though the 12-60 seems to be quite good I just feel it's probably not fast enough to be an all rounder
Old Apr 24, 2013, 5:12 PM   #6

I had one of those when I had the E510 and loved it. It was my fav lens. The question is, does it AF with the adapter? I know some 4/3 lenses don't work on m4/3 bodies but I can't remember which ones.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:12 PM   #7

That one will. My only issue with the four-thirds lenses today is, their size. Whatever the size, they're all substantially bigger/heavier than any micro-specific lens. The 12-60 I once had was heavier by itself than the combined size/weight of the 9-18 and 14-150 M. Zuikos and would require me using different bags and putting up with the extra heft, which was why I sold my E-5 DSLR, the lenses and went this route to begin with.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I had one of those when I had the E510 and loved it. It was my fav lens. The question is, does it AF with the adapter? I know some 4/3 lenses don't work on m4/3 bodies but I can't remember which ones.
Yes it does. AF works fine with my 14-54 MK1 on my EPL-1 and EPL-5 with the Viltrox adapter
AF is NO slower on the EPL-5 compared to my E-520

VERY nice images Bob
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:33 AM   #9

Fantastic sharp captures Bob, the 14-54mm MK1 and the 50-200mm MK1 were the my favorites lenses and your pictures shows why.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:15 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your input, though slow by the standard set by 'matched' camera/lens combinations (m43 lenses on m43 bodies and FT-on-FT) it is obvious to me that what we photograph certainly influences usage of the hardware. For myself, butterflies, flowers, park landscapes and show cars is what I do.

I did not buy the E-P3 with intention of migrating to the micro system. I did it for a smaller camera footprint which could match to my existing FT lens set which is what happened. For the 50-200 type-1 I still use the E-3, it is the only lens I have that I don't use much on the E-P3, but it does work as well as any of my other and gives the same excellent results as would be expected.

Now with the beginning announcements (E-P5) of the new m43 gear I will watch for what will likely be my last new camera. I will need to make a clear decision when the time comes but probably my lens bag will still be full of FT lenses with a couple m43 to make up a light bag once in a while.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Apr 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote