Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 2, 2013, 7:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....hmmmm, I guess I will need to get a whole new system then, I've gotten so used to 'angle' usage with the VF-2 that I don't want to be without, even for a EM-n.

BUTTTTTT, I think the older EVFs will work on the new cameras and that the new EVF will cost a lot more than the 'buckeroos' mentioned. I'm not interested in the 17mm lens so body only would be tempting.
I thought they were going to go smaller with the new EVF--not larger and better-featured.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 9:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....hmmmm, I guess I will need to get a whole new system then, I've gotten so used to 'angle' usage with the VF-2 that I don't want to be without, even for a EM-n.
Hey Bob: I'm pretty sure that your VF-2 also works on an OMD-EM-5.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 9:48 AM   #13

Steven, the VF-2 surely does work on the EM-5, all current PENS accept it.

The VF-4 does present some new features including a LOCK which means I wouldn't need to use the rubber-band, HOORAY for that.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 10:17 AM   #14

The VF-2 may indeed still work with the E-P5. Hopefully it does. This was just me speculating away. Assuming the new VF-4 does offer auto switching and finder stabilization it will be a great new finder. What it won't have and the thing I've gotten back to liking is, the ability to use the eyelevel finder and still have a hot shoe to plug in a flash, TTL cord or my Cactus flash trigger.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 2:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Some more shots:

Looks a whole lot like an E-PL2 with a dial below the shutter to give the function of the wheel on the E-PL2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
And here is a shot of the new VF-4 attached.

Still no photos released for the upcoming E-PL6
Pretty sure it will be a VF-5 as Olympus has thus far stayed away from the number 4

Quote:
The Japanese don't like the number 4 and 9 because of their pronunciation. Four is pronounced "shi" which is the same pronunciation as death.
Japan's Nippon Airways has no seats numbered 4, 9 or 13.

Either way I'm not signing on. For me the VF-2 is primarily for use with telephoto shooting where it really makes it easier to steady the camera having the extra point of contact with the eye and viewfinder. Anyone who's tried to shoot with a long telephoto 200mm or above will know that it is really hard to steady shoot with the LCD, add the VF-2 and it becomes much more steady. In those situations a built in view finder like the one on the OM-D makes sense for me.

I see myself buying an OM-D next and keeping the VF-2 for those tripod shots and other situations where I'd like to use the right angle view capability which is handy.
Old May 2, 2013, 3:37 PM   #16

That's a good plan. I've used my VF-2 as a low/right angle device on my E-M5
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 4:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That's a good plan. I've used my VF-2 as a low/right angle device on my E-M5
Would be nice, but if I go OM-D the VF will need to be sold to offset it. Either that or I'll look out for bargain basement E-PL5
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 4:59 PM   #18

Quote:
VF-2 as a low/right angle device
I've used the VF-2 that way so much that I won't be without it.............. the cars, little people, pets & tall bldgs, all are easier.

VF-4 or VF-5 I probably will have one.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 4:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Looks a whole lot like an E-PL2 with a dial below the shutter to give the function of the wheel on the E-PL2.

Pretty sure it will be a VF-5 as Olympus has thus far stayed away from the number 4
LOL Olympus has used 4 in the past. Have we forgot the great OM-4 and OM-4T; which were the most advanced 35mm camera bodies from Olympus. Plus, the photo of the EVF clearly shows "VF-4" lettered on the EVF.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 10:56 AM   #20

Is a very attractive nostalgic looking camera. Sure reminds me of the 35mm rangefinder days. I'm very happy with my E-3 and it fits my hands nicely. The E-3 has more options on it then I'll ever use for what I do. Yeah, I have more to lug around but it's what I want. I am definitely going to stay with a three lens kit. Still undecided on whether I want to spend the extra money for the 50-200mm or go with the 70-300. By most of the photos I see here, the 50-200 is definitely the better choice of the two.