Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 5, 2013, 11:57 AM   #21

Its a nice looking cam, esp in black but another external EVF job is a bit disappointing... I think Oly and Pana are both missing a trick.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:27 PM   #22

Full specs and more pictures out now.

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-the-full-e-p5-specs/

Yes - on 5 axis IBIS
Yes - on WiFi control and sharing. Seems they have a neat trick where the camera can display a QR code that you can point your smartphone at with the Olympus share app and all the connection information is input based on the QR code. (QR code is a type of 2-d bar code FYI). Seems in addition to remote view and download to the smartphone you also get remote shutter control from the smartphone and GPS tagging from the smartphone GPS sensor (which I'm sure some people will enjoy).

This may be a new camera but it really has a lot in common with the E-PL2 - the flash looks directly off the E-PL2.

On another note the new Sigma 60mm f2.8 is up for pre-order at $239 from B&H. Minimum focus distance is 19.7" so this will not be able to match the Zuiko 60mm which goes down to 7.4" which is 1:1 macro. However if you want a fairly fast 60mm on a budget this might be the ticket.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:16 PM   #23

I like the camera's capabilities with the smart phone. I'm thinking the replacement for the E-M5 will have this as well.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:29 PM   #24

It looks like, while the E-P5 will be sold here in the states, The E-PL6 will not. The E-PL6 is apparently for the Japanese market. Which kinda makes sense, since the E-PL6 appears to be just a minor upgrade from the E-PL5.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 5:18 PM   #25

Note the 1/8000 shutter speed, making it much easier to achieve the ability of shooting near wide open in daylight with the faster primes.

It looks similar in the image, but in the hand the E-P5 be much different compared to the E-PL2, which is half plastic. Operationally and image quality-wise, it'll be a tale of two different cameras, too.

Sigma is getting close. If they ever up the focal length to 100mm or longer, that f2.8 speed will look better and better.

Also, note the nice, black 17mm f1.8 in that picture...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 7:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Is a very attractive nostalgic looking camera. Sure reminds me of the 35mm rangefinder days. I'm very happy with my E-3 and it fits my hands nicely. The E-3 has more options on it then I'll ever use for what I do. Yeah, I have more to lug around but it's what I want. I am definitely going to stay with a three lens kit. Still undecided on whether I want to spend the extra money for the 50-200mm or go with the 70-300. By most of the photos I see here, the 50-200 is definitely the better choice of the two.
I'm with you James. I love my rugged and large E-3. Plus I prefer zooms over primes, and I am very satisfied with my 4/3 lens collection. My only interest in M4/3 is to keep current with Oly offerings and perhaps pick up a used one down the road to use as a pocket camera.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 7:24 AM   #27

full review is out. I must admit it seems like it has an impressive set of functions in the camera. I'm going to say I am more impressed with it now than I originally was, but really think they should have found a way to squeeze a EVF in there instead of the flash.... just my .02 but it is beautiful camera till you clip that thing on.

http://gizmodo.com/olympus-pen-e-p5-...made-499321873

p.s. noticed the price is $1000 body only and $1450 with the 17mm.

p.p.s. I am willing to provide a home for any discarded OM-D EM-5s when this comes out jic

Last edited by ramcewan; May 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 8:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
full review is out. I must admit it seems like it has an impressive set of functions in the camera. I'm going to say I am more impressed with it now than I originally was, but really think they should have found a way to squeeze a EVF in there instead of the flash.... just my .02 but it is beautiful camera till you clip that thing on.

http://gizmodo.com/olympus-pen-e-p5-...made-499321873

p.s. noticed the price is $1000 body only and $1450 with the 17mm.

p.p.s. I am willing to provide a home for any discarded OM-D EM-5s when this comes out jic
Yeah it looks awesome, just not for a thousand dollars.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 8:40 AM   #29

For 1K, I'd rather have the OM-D complete with EVF and FL-LM2 flash to boot.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:52 AM   #30

No longer a rumour, it has just appeared on the Oly web site. Clicking on the link for the new viewfinder goes to an "oops" page.
Body only, or a kit with the 17mm and the VF-4...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote