Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:14 PM   #1

Default What I Said To Myself I Would Never Do...

....I did this weekend. I used to shoot around with a lot of classic (1950's era) cameras, from Old Leica's to Zeiss, Voigtlander, Rollei etc., etc. I have not even bought a roll of film since 2004, but this past Saturday I found an exquisite 1959 Voigtlander Bessamatic SLR on eBay being sold by my all-time favorite seller who I trust 100% to know both what it is and the condition of what they are selling.

The price at the time was low ($45), so I place a bid of up to $95 and watched it close at an amazingly low $56 on Saturday afternoon, so about a week from today I'll be out and about at some point shooting with film for the first time in 9 years.

The other part of the story is, there's an adapter I can buy to use the lenses on my micro bodies as well. Voigtlander made lenses every bit as good as Zeiss during this period. The camera is coming with an ultra-sharp 50mm f2.8 Color Skopar, but I may pick up an extra lens or two for fun, one in particular a 135mm f4 Super Dynarex. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have some images to show.

I NEVER thought I'd be buying another 35mm roll of film.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:45 PM   #2

G'day Greg

As the actress said to the bishop [misusing an old WW2 vaudeville joke] - "ya never really know what you'll get up to, do you?"

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:11 PM   #3

That's the truth, for sure.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:25 PM   #4

...ok, I looked at some photos of the camera and it seems to me that it 'ain't no micro' for sure, looks stout in its size. I know nothing of it but reading about it says it was a trendsetter at the time. The lenses look just incredible in design and will look intriguing on the EM-5.

BTW, I posted in the dSLR forum some images about my shoot at the Arlington airport last Saturday. I met fellow there who does 'PRO' photography with a passion toward aviation photography plus he had his son there for a ride, etc.

Anyhow Tim had on the gear and all and we shot together for most of the day. I carried the E-3 & 50-200 and also my P3 with the FT 9-18. About an hour into the day Tim asked me if the P3 was digital or film. I thought that was interesting and we talked some about it...... he said he didn't know of m43 and actually had no awareness of Olympus 43. Strictly a CANON guy who has ignored all other opportunities for photography gear knowledge, it works for him -- he does make some wonderful photos.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:50 PM   #5

It's definitely old school. Voigtlander cameras are all over-engineered and the Bessamatic is the ultimate classic leaf-shuttered 35mm camera. It is basically a 35mm Hasselblad in that it uses a leaf shutter, so flash can be synced up to the maximum 1/500 second. The difference is, the shutter is behind the lens instead of in each lens like the Hassy system.

This is the one I picked up. It's about as good as it gets after 53 years..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-...vip=true&rt=nc

Those are always fun type people to meet. Sounds like the pilot I met at the horse track 3-4 years ago shooting with the Nikon and 300mm f2.8. Man, just thinking about that makes me ill I really would like to try the E-M5 at the horse races, but it ain't happenin' here.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Greg - congratulations on the Voigtlander! I am sure you will have fun with it.

And oh those old lenses are something special. I question my sanity for selling off the pre war Zeiss clone Jupiter-8 50mm f2.0 I had.

It had a special character and feel to it that I miss

P4232256_pp by ramcewan, on Flickr
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:41 PM   #7

Thanks, Andrew.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll be dropping in to Arlington Camera this next weekend to buy some film, picked up a second lens (135mm f4 Super Dynarex) and a Voigtlander DKL mount to Micro four-thirds adapter from Hong Kong. Cool!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:45 AM   #8

Greg, that actually sounds like fun to me. There have been times when I wish I would have hung on to my Nikon SLR just to occassionally do what you are about to do. Gee, it's been a long time since I saw a person with a film camera at an event.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 5:35 PM   #9

Oooh, film. Get ready for a short selection of emulsions. I have a Vito B, a point and shoot model. Came with an incident light meter that I lost years ago. But really loved the images that camera captured. Look forward to hearing about this adventure.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:09 PM   #10

I'm seeing that, as well as a somewhat shortage of labs. Arlington camera closed their C41 lab last year. They send the film to a pro lab in Dallas (BWC) for processing/scanning. AC will digitally print the resulting negatives.

I'm looking as much forward to trying the lenses on the E-M5. Received the 135mm f4 today. Just waiting on the slow boat from Taiwan with the adapter.