Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:17 PM   #1

Default 75-300 M. Zuiko and the 10mm Kenko Auto tube...

used today at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens with the E-M5..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:46 AM   #2

..........beautiful! That combination really works well and the detail at that magnification is wonderful.

BTW, I ordered and got a set a couple days ago after reading Les' post http://tinyurl.com/nf9orty in the Panasonic m43 forum. I've only used them for a quick test to be sure the electronics are connected when fitted.

They are plastic, well made, don't come with end-caps but I've a spare set that I ordered some time ago off eBay for $2.50. Total cost for the capped set (10mm & 16mm) of extension tubes $32.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:37 AM   #3

That's definitely a great deal. You'll have some fun with that set.

BTW, stopped at Arlington Camera on my way back (big surprise) and took a look at the "II" version of the 75-300. Big improvement in terms of handling. The original version has a very loose zoom mechanism and easily flops in and out. The new version is very well dampened and stays where you set it, much like the 40-150 (and four-thirds 70-300) and optically looks excellent as well.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Looking back at what I did yesterday, I know I processed these a little dark in an attempt to bring out more texture.

Completely out of character for me, I shot all of yesterday in raw+jpeg. Just to show the jpeg engine off here are three of the in-camera jpegs. The one control I am finding that helps jpeg quality more than any other is getting the gradation setting right. Under the overcast sky yesterday, normal gradation was yielding a lighter look than I cared for. Instead of dialing in lots of exposure compensation or using spot metering I changed gradation to low and set my noise filter to low. Those were the only two changes to the default settings I made to get in-camera jpegs like these..

Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
..........beautiful! That combination really works well and the detail at the magnification is wonderful.

BTW, I ordered and got a set a couple days ago after reading Les' post http://tinyurl.com/nf9orty in the Panasonic m43 forum. I've only used them for a quick test to be sure the electronics are connected when fitted.

They are plastic, well made, don't come with end-caps but I've a spare set that I ordered some time ago off eBay for $2.50. Total cost for the capped set (10mm & 16mm) of extension tubes $32.
thanks for sharing that, I have a set on the way now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Looking back at what I did yesterday, I know I processed these a little dark in an attempt to bring out more texture.

Completely out of character for me, I shot all of yesterday in raw+jpeg. Just to show the jpeg engine off here are three of the in-camera jpegs. The one control I am finding that helps jpeg quality more than any other is getting the gradation setting right. Under the overcast sky yesterday, normal gradation was yielding a lighter look than I cared for. Instead of dialing in lots of exposure compensation or using spot metering I changed gradation to low and set my noise filter to low. Those were the only two changes to the default settings I made to get in-camera jpegs like these..

I though they were a little dark but I thought that was okay as the texture was really nice, especially on the white flowers. The last one with the purple flowers I find really nice, the oof flowers add almost a sense of motion which makes it feel really lush.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:28 PM   #6

Thanks!

After thinking about it I went back and re-processed all of the images from that day. In hindsite I think I did over-do the dialing down of the highlights. Looking at the set now I am much happier with them.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:09 AM   #7

Andrew, the ext-tubes are well worth having for that price and if you want end-caps the cap set is easily found on eBay for under $3 postage paid. I used my only spare set so I ordered another...... waiting a week or so for receipt is ok with me for FREE postage.

Greg, I too first thought of the images that for me they were quite dark then I decided that because you were showing the detail that they were fine (very good) for that purpose........ I do like them lighter though (grin).

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote