Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:49 AM   #1

Default ....test results for top cameras for low-light high-ISO

High praise for the E-M5 in the 4/3 camera division for 21 top low-light high-ISO cameras, and the test says it is ISO-100, not ISO-200 at the lowest.See the test results here ==> http://bit.ly/12TGIRC

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2

I'm not surprised at all. I don't know how often you get over to DPReview, but Doug Brown, a Canadian press photog, has been using the E-M5 and 14-150 M. Zuiko at several recent concert and event venues in the Toronto area. Here's his more recent post where he shot Taylor Swift's visit..

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51656508

The E-M5 has made both high ISO shooting, slower zooms like the 12-50, 14-150 and 75-300 M. Zuikos, and some Olympus features that have been less than all that useful due to older sensor technology, like auto gradation and the 2x digital TC, very useable.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:15 PM   #3

Bob - the beginning of that article pretty much sums it up - pretty much all the modern ILCs do a great job at high ISOs. Where you start to see sensors like the D4 and such still pull way ahead though is when you need to crop more and need to recover shadow detail. If you get the framing and exposures right with most current generation ILCs you'll have great results up to ISO 3200. Pretty impressive - especially if you go back and look at any ISO 800 film shots you might have. Heck, most of these shots at 3200 look as good as ISO 400 used to look on film - you know, when you couldn't pixel peep at 100%.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 PM   #4

....yep, things are growing technically for sure, cameras as well as all other electronics.

Remember storage as it was only a couple years ago, now we can have 128GB flash media cards, and SSDs and GPS devices, and for crying out loud PHONES.

Dick Tracy is probably saying to old-farts like myself who remember Dick for his wrist video communicator from nearly 70-yrs ago, "...well I told you it would be".

Greg, I 'tour' DPReview but don't participate.... yes, I've seen a lot of EM-5 examples there. The EM-5 seems to be quite a step ahead of the other m43 cameras, all makes
and Adorama's tests indicate it is, I like that

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:09 AM   #5

Pretty impressive shot of Taylor at 2500 ISO.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:15 AM   #6

I think the ISO issue is what would most press me to upgrade to an e-pl5 or omd. 1600 sometimes looks good (to me) and sometimes not--800 is more reliable.

For what it's worth though, the noise reduction software that came with the Nik plugins seems to help quite a bit. I like how it selectively chooses different parts of the image to apply different amounts and types of NR to. I know one can do that in other way--I can't seem to though.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:19 AM   #7

That does it, when my ship comes in I'm getting the D800. Oh no, just found out my ship was torpedoed.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:34 PM   #8

Lol!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote