Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:13 PM   #11

Wow, I didn't realize the E-P5 cost more than the OMD. B&H states expected availability in July 2013. Not too bad a wait at all.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Wow, I didn't realize the E-P5 cost more than the OMD. B&H states expected availability in July 2013. Not too bad a wait at all.
Depends where you buy and/or what you buy with it. B&H has the E-P5 and E-M5, bodies only, priced at the exact same $999. It's when you start adding the VF-4 and kit lens combinations where you may be seeing the E-P5 costing more. The E-P5+VF4+17mm f1.8 is $1,500, or around $200 more than the E-M5 with the 12-50. The VF4 sounds awesome from the comments I have seen from those who have tried it out.

The E-M5 body-only has been $999 since day 1, which was 16 months ago. If they were not selling I would imagine the price woulda started coming down by now, but it hasn't. Under normal circumstances, the E-P5 is brand new and I would expect it to cost more than the E-M5 at this point. I think the E-P3 was $899 when brand new and the E-P5 easily looks $100 better.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Depends where you buy and/or what you buy with it. B&H has the E-P5 and E-M5, bodies only, priced at the exact same $999. It's when you start adding the VF-4 and kit lens combinations where you may be seeing the E-P5 costing more. The E-P5+VF4+17mm f1.8 is $1,500, or around $200 more than the E-M5 with the 12-50. The VF4 sounds awesome from the comments I have seen from those who have tried it out.

The E-M5 body-only has been $999 since day 1, which was 16 months ago. If they were not selling I would imagine the price woulda started coming down by now, but it hasn't. Under normal circumstances, the E-P5 is brand new and I would expect it to cost more than the E-M5 at this point. I think the E-P3 was $899 when brand new and the E-P5 easily looks $100 better.
I know this is the Olympus forum but the deal of m43 right now is easily the g5. New it's 500 for the kit and you can find used "like new" sealed bodies for a tad over 300. People seem to think it's about on par with (or just the slightest tad under) the OM-D, give or take (I'm not talking about the crazy fanatics of one brand over another).

But yeah, I keep waiting for the price drop on the EM5 and it's just not happening.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:13 PM   #14

Panasonic is pretty aggressive in their pricing strategy. It also helps the G5 (price-wise) that the G6 is out. When the replacement for the E-M5 is out, or close to being out, is probably when the deals will commence.

Panasonic G cameras are very nice, but with the lens selection I chose to assemble, the in-camera stabilization system Olympus uses is not something I would want to be without. The two brands have a pretty clear feature set difference that makes the choice fairly easy, depending on the lenses you have.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:16 PM   #15

Greg, yes Zilker is nice, but we live up north so we don't get down as much as we'd like. We also recently found the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center, which isn't too far from Zilker. I know what you mean about button happy, one major thing that gets to me is if I want to move the focus box around, it's a chore. I'm really looking forward to touch to focus (among other things).

Yes, it's a bit pricey, but what's interesting is that on Amazon right now, the silver kit was the same price as the black, but a month longer on the delivery range. I checked just now, and the silver kit is going for $1699 where the black is still 1449. I expect I'll get more than 3 years out of it like I did with the EPL-1 and certainly many more years with the lenses.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:53 PM   #16

Being able to configure a smaller AF box by default and it not going back to the larger size when the camera is turned off is one really nice improvement compared to the E-M5.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Being able to configure a smaller AF box by default and it not going back to the larger size when the camera is turned off is one really nice improvement compared to the E-M5.
That's sweet! It's so much second nature now to power on, hit the magnifying glass I don't really notice it, but yeah, that's going to be nice.

Got a new toy today In your thread, http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...auto-tube.html , boBBrennan had a link for a set of extension tubes for $30 that I thought might be fun to play with. When I checked this afternoon, Amazon still said they were in NJ, but there they were in the mail box when I got home. Remote shutter release is another advantage that the EP5 has over the EPL1. Can't wait to try it out.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote