Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:48 PM   #1

Default Upgrading my EPL-1

So I've had my EPL-1 for a couple of years now, and it's been really good to me. When then OMD came out I really liked the specs and thought that would be the way I would go when the time came. I think that time is now, but of course the EP5 has been released with almost the same specs and now I'm torn. I thought I'd come here and get some opinions.

I currently have the EPL-1 kit lens, the 14-42 MK1, so would it be worth while upgrading to get faster auto focus? Will it focus fast enough on either the OMD or EP5? I also have the Panasonic 45-200. Other than that I'm not too heavily invested in the system. I'll probably stick with Olympus though.

Does anybody have a feel on what upgrade path I should take? Body only, keep the current lenses (either OMD or EP5)? OMD with 12-50 kit lens? The EP5 kit seems to be a 17mm f1.8 and a VF-4, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks for the input!
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2

hmm.. well Green Eyed Stranger you will certainly get faster focus with any of the newer bodies.

I guess if I were you I consider what your budget is and what your type of shooting would be. I noticed you didn't mention having the electronic view finder (VF-2, VF-3), so it doesn't sound like the built in one on the om-d em-5 is a must have.

as for the upgrade path I guess I'd keep your current lenses. The 14-42 mk1 isn't worth very much and the 45-200 is a good lens that will work on anything you choose.

That said if you get the om-d it makes sense to buy the 12-50 with it as it is much cheaper than alone. If you get the E-P5 then consider the E-P5 + 17mm f1.8 + VF-4 package as it is a good deal (basically the VF-4 is free).

One question for you - why not the e-pl5?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3

ramcewan, thanks for the reply. As for the epl-5, I guess I'm seduced by the 5-axis stabilization, which I don't think the epl-5 has. I was wondering about the 14-42 focus speed because shortly after I got the epl1, there was a flurry of reports that it didn't focus as fast as other lenses. There was I firmware upgrade that sped it up, but I didn't get a clear feeling if that was the camera or the lens or both that was the problem, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a persistent thing on the lens.

If it's the case that it will focus plenty fast on the new bodies, then certainly the E-P5 combo kit does certainly look attractive.

Thanks for your input!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:41 PM   #4

They both use the same sensor but the PL5 doesn't have 5 axis focusing. If you have a VF-2 or 3 then your best bet would be the PL5. Depending on the type of shooting you do, the 5 axis focusing may or may not benefit you. If you do not have a VF-3 or 2 then the OMD would be the best bet for you. One advantage with the E-PL5 and VF-3 is that the VF-3 can be tilted up as used as a 90 degree viewfinder. You do not have that option with the OMD, You would have to tilt up the back display. With the E-PL5 and VF-3 you have both options. I guess you have to weigh your needs and wants for what's best for the type of photography you will be doing.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 8:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
They both use the same sensor but the PL5 doesn't have 5 axis focusing. If you have a VF-2 or 3 then your best bet would be the PL5. Depending on the type of shooting you do, the 5 axis focusing may or may not benefit you. If you do not have a VF-3 or 2 then the OMD would be the best bet for you. One advantage with the E-PL5 and VF-3 is that the VF-3 can be tilted up as used as a 90 degree viewfinder. You do not have that option with the OMD, You would have to tilt up the back display. With the E-PL5 and VF-3 you have both options. I guess you have to weigh your needs and wants for what's best for the type of photography you will be doing.
James, thanks for the reply! I have to admit that I pulled the trigger on the EP5. Swayed too much by the marketing I suppose. Unfortunately, Amazon says they won't get it here until July 29 - Sept 3 I suppose I have until then to get cold feet
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
James, thanks for the reply! I have to admit that I pulled the trigger on the EP5. Swayed too much by the marketing I suppose. Unfortunately, Amazon says they won't get it here until July 29 - Sept 3 I suppose I have until then to get cold feet
Well, the EP5 looks pretty sweet (just a tad too expensive compared to the OMD IMO). Congrats. Did you get the package that has the lens in it? That will give you a lot of improvement too I think. Make sure to let us know what you think when you get it.

The EP5 body looks a lot like your E-PL1 or My EPL2, just with "modern" guts in it. Which is what I'm looking for, really.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
congratulations I am sure you will love the upgrade, it's going to be a big step from the e-pl1

Seems though you're not the only one who will be waiting as apparently shipment has been delayed;

http://www.43rumors.com/e-p5-superki...ase-postponed/
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Did you buy the outfit with a lens, or just the body only? If I didn't already have it, the 17mm f1.8 is getting to be my favorite lens. The E-P5+17/1.8 would be a wonderful pair. I've always liked the 35mm FOV better than the standard "normal" 50mm lens, and the 17mm f1.8 to me is as sharp as any M. Zuiko I own with the possible exception of the 75/1.8, which is just wicked sharp.

really tough backlit subject, but the shade does a great job shielding the front element..

On the otherhand, the 14-150mm M. Zuiko makes for a great one-lens set up if you'd rather bypass changing lenses a lot..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...3365&k=p3xxMqS

If I were travelling and wanted a minimum of lens changes, the 14-150 and 9-18 M. Zuikos are what I'd take.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:46 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies and encouragement everyone! I did go with the combo kit. I've seen enough praise on this forum and others about having a fast prime and the EVF that it seemed like the way to go. Greg - Fantastic pictures! I'm anxious to see what I can do. We have something similar in Austin at the Zilker Botanical Gardens. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. I do have some of the Waco Zoo I have in picasa: https://plus.google.com/photos/11084...79673529067089

Once it gets here, I'll be sure to get some images up. Thanks again!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:35 AM   #10

I've heard about that garden and have wanted to get down to Austin for a weekend of shooting. It's been way too long since I was down there for fun. Been down for a couple of client meetings but those are always in-and-out trips on Southwest.

You are about to experience quite a jump in performance, both from a handling, as well as operational speed and image quality perspective. The E-PL1 is quite the button-happy machine. The dual-dial system on the E-P5 is the best Pen setup yet.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote