Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Default Obligatory July fireworks thread.

I've always been disappointed in the fireworks shots I've taken. I did almost everything right this time: remembered tripod, shutter release, selection of lenses, read up to get some great advice on settings and techniques to try . . .

then sat behind a tree.

SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:17 PM   #2

...........thatsareallynicefireworksphoto !!!

I've never tried fireworks photography. Instead, I just watch it happen and then say to myself, 'should have tried that'.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:09 PM   #3

I'm staying MILES away from any fireworks display. Been there, done that. The crowds and traffic are a PITA. After the Rangers game last Friday night, we scooted while everyone stayed in the stadium waiting for the fireworks display after the game. We were out of the parking lot in record time for having stayed until the last out.

Sammy, I actually LIKE the framing of the fireworks with the tree, and what looks like a bridge down at the bottom of the frame. Very nice.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I'm staying MILES away from any fireworks display. Been there, done that. The crowds and traffic are a PITA. ..........
Those of us who have fireworks displays 365 days a year don't have the problems that you do. . I'm sure that Disney, Busch Gardens, Sea World, etc can all clear out traffic 10 times better than a baseball stadium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I've always been disappointed in the fireworks shots I've taken. I did almost everything right this time: remembered tripod, shutter release, selection of lenses, read up to get some great advice on settings and techniques to try . . .
then sat behind a tree.
I shoot fireworks very frequently, and my first advice is to forget the tripod. And the most versatile lens for fireworks usually is my 12-60mm, though I have used the 50-200mm on occasion. But normally the 12-60 covers the most usable range for the fireworks that I shoot. It is rare to need to change lens in the middle of a fireworks shoot. You don't need the tripod, and you would have much more freedom to move around or change position slightly to capture the action.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:34 PM   #5

I used to live just a half a block from the edge of Mt Washington in Pittsburgh--I understand how it's easy to get tired of the fireworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Sammy, I actually LIKE the framing of the fireworks with the tree, and what looks like a bridge down at the bottom of the frame. Very nice.

Actually I like it too (this was the best one out of the lot I think). Besides how it was framed I like that the 2-tone effect because the color the fireworks happened to be. I could have gone a little down the road, but like you didn't feel like dealing with the people.

This was the beginning of the show, and the atmosphere was such that by the end I was seeing mostly smoke clouds.

Steven, how do you avoid motion blur and handshaking and such? That has always been my issue before. This was about a 2 second exposure IIRC.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Steven, how do you avoid motion blur and handshaking and such? That has always been my issue before. This was about a 2 second exposure IIRC.
Hi Sammy: From practice over the years I learned to throw out the "expert recommendations" and shoot my fireworks handheld at shutter speeds between 1/50 to 1/125, with most of my shots at 1/80. I even on some occasions go up to 1/200 sec.

And here is one at a higher speed of 1/200 sec.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote