Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 20, 2013, 5:40 PM   #1

Default Quiet Spt on a Hot Day

With the E-M5 and 14-150mm M. Zuiko at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:23 AM   #2

A little later I found another cute couple and captured them with the 75mm f1.8. They seemed comfortable in their environment..

Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:09 PM   #3

Two really nice captures Greg. Nice color and composition.

Just out of curiosity, (as I absolutely hate dragging extra lens and changing lens in the field), why did you use the 75mm lens in the second shot when you could have covered the same focal length with the 14-150 used in the first shot?
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:18 PM   #4

The first shot was taken around mid-day over in Fort Worth when it was hot and humid with bright, contrasty mid-day sun. I drove home from there, cleaned up and was working on those images when it started clouding up late in the day and "cooled" down somewhat. Since the light was falling and it was overcast I left the 14-150 at home and went with with the 12mm f2, 25/1.4 and 75/1.8. From the park after shooting that image and a few others I kept driving south to downtown and had a couple of margaritas and a plate of enchiladas at one of my favorite Tex-Mex spots

3-4 lenses is about all I want to haul around too. When we go back to San Francisco in September I'm figuring the 14-150 and 9-18 are what I will take. Possibly the 75-300 too. We won't be doing any long-distance hiking so I don't figure the addition of the 75-300 is going to be all that terrible and could be useful. Of course, the 75/1.8 can do a wonderful job of separating the subject from the background much better than a lens like the 14-150 zoomed to 75mm. There's a definite stopping point in the plain of focus in the geese shot, even at the distance I was standing from them. It was captured using 1/250 second at f2.8 and ISO 200. Zoomed to 75mm the maximum aperture of the 14-150 is f5.4, so I'm either shooting the same subject at the same 1/250 shutter speed and f5.4 at ISO 800, or IS0 200 but with a slower shutter speed of 1/60 second.

This is the game I am constantly playing. Next time someone asks, I might be leaning towards taking 3-4 prime lenses on the trip. Definitely not as versatile, but what shots I can take I know will be not just sharp like the zooms can be, but super sharp. I've given myself way too many options.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:48 PM   #5

....and I think you had too many 'ritas at Fuzzies (lol).

I can't keep up with all that logic. I think I am lucky to have just 2 lenses and only need make binary decisions for what to use.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:31 AM   #6

I'm with Bob. I never had that many lenses in my entire life.