Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 28, 2013, 1:17 AM   #1

Default In The Garden With A Few Primes

I know why I like lenses like the 14-150 M. Zuiko, but every once & a while I'll go shoot for a day using a prime setup like I carried today (12mm f2, 25mm f1.4, 60mm f2.8 and 75mm f1.8) when I met with a friend at Clark Gardens in Weatherford, Texas and the results always have me wondering why I ever use all my zooms other than the times where the extra length of the 75-300 makes a real difference...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Nature...3953&k=Fmw2tLm

First time I've shown up and the other guy had the exact same thing around his neck....an E-M5 and the 60mm f2.8 Macro M. Zuiko.

60mm f2.8..

This place has the coolest model train display that runs both indoors and outdoors. This was captured with the 60mm f2.8..

Here's an image of part of the outdoor model train set with blooming Texas Sage, captured with the 12mm f2..

Shot a lot of landscapes with the 12mm f2 using the snap setting, set to infinity and f5.6..

Images captured with the 75mm f1.8..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Really nice series of shots, Greg. Really nice compositions and exceptional natural colors.

(I have to admit that I do not share your love of primes. There is no way that I would ever carry 4 lens around. Come down here and walk around the Disney parks for 10-12+ hours carrying around a camera and 4 lens. LOL. Sometime I will carry a hunters waistpak with one additional lens, No way would I spend the day with a backpack and extra equipment. If my 12-60 or 50-200 can't capture it, than I'll have to pass. LOL)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3

I do hear you. Believe me, if this system had the equivalent of the 12-60 and 50-200 Zuikos, I'd have them but I will say, the 12mm f2, 25mm f1.4 and 60mm f2.8, combined, weigh only 40 grams more (615 for all three combined vs. 570 grams for the 12-60 by itself), are all either one or two stops faster at each focal length compared to the 12-60 and take up very little space.

Add the additional 995 grams (and bulk) of the 50-200 vs. the 305 grams for the 75mm f1.8 and a four-thirds user carrying the 12-60 and 50-200 Digital Zuikos, which I was one for a while, is weighted down significantly more compared with these four M. Zuiko primes, three of which, with an E-M5 body are an easy carry in a small Think Tank Retrospective 5 bag. Add a tiny lens case on the side rail of the bag for the 60mm f2.8 and the complete system can be totted pretty effortlessly for long stretches of time.

The Retrospective 5 is the bag I used last year to tote the E-P3, 12/25/45 three lens setup over the 8 days we were in Paris. Compared to 6 years earlier when we were there and I was hauling the E300 and 7-14, 14-54 and 50-200 Zuikos and my shoulders ached every evening, last year was like a walk in the park.

I'm sorry to say I have never been to Disney World, but If I were to go, I might only take the 12 and 25 lenses.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:02 PM   #4

WOW! What a great day today was, I had quite a few chores to get done but the day out with the camera today would have been great.

From the sound of your intro here was it Steve and if so did he get the camera profile file loaded and working?

These photos are fantastic, the weather last week obviously did much to help and hope you have good weather for NYC.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jul 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5

You know, he didn't even mention the profile! His wife came with him and we had a very nice morning. Very few people were there. We almost had the place to ourselves. No snakes, , but hundreds of water lilies. They really do a nice job with that garden.

I've got to cram about 4 days worth of work into Monday and Tuesday before leaving and about the only time I'll have for myself in NYC, there won't be enough of it to do anything but get ready for a Wednesday evening event. Kind of a bummer, but it should be an interesting two full days in the office up there.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:20 PM   #6

Wonderful photos. I really like the quality of the 60mm lens.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7

Yes, the 60mm Zuiko is, really nice. I need to use it more than I do.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
hope you have good weather for NYC.
80's (nice), AND.....I made it over to B&H. Wow.....heaven....
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:03 PM   #9

From the looks of the store I would need 2-days to hang out in there.

Rest of week thru the weekend here .... 100+

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote