Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:21 PM   #1

Default On the Trails, in the mid day sun

Went over to Arlington Camera this morning to take a gander at the newest set of bags from Think Tank called Mirrorless Movers.

Wow, are they small!

They didn't have the largest, the "30"...just the 20, 10 and 5 models. Obviously those are strictly for the Pens with no eyelevel finder attached. The "20" would fit a Pen with small lens mounted and two other lenses.....if neither of those lenses were the 75-300. I have a feeling the "30" is the one you'd want with an E-M5 or Pen + a mounted VF2, 3 or 4.

Afterwards, went over to River Legacy Park and walked a trail with the E-M5, using primarily the 12mm f2 with the snap setting on infinity, which is a great landscape lens, especially on a trail without a lot of wide open spaces.

The E-M5 files sure are flexible. One can expose for the highlights and then get it all right in post processing, which is an important thing on the trails with lots of contrasty shade and open light that would just bedevil a program mode. I shot these all in manual exposure mode, letting the highlights tickle the right-side (highlights) of the histogram a hair before clipping, and corrected everything in Photoshop. I can't wait to get this combination into the Muir Woods and Redwoods National Park next month.

This one was direct backlight with the sun just out of the top of the picture..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2013, 8:33 PM   #2

That trail and creek looks familiar, I've not been there at all this year.

As dreary as the park trails here are this year I too am anxious to see what you will find on your trip. These look like great get you in the mood shots.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:11 PM   #3

Greg,

first a good set, you do really well taking the time to get to know your gear locally which pays dividends when you go to shoot on a big trip or destination that you may only visit once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I can't wait to get this combination into the Muir Woods and Redwoods National Park next month.
If I could be so bold as to suggest spending the time and money to check out Armstrong Woods in Guerneville, CA not too far from Muir Woods. There is a guy who does horseback rides up into the redwoods there and it is a truly special experience.

http://www.redwoodhorses.com/

My wife and I did that and spent some time going through wine country after attending a cousin's wedding in Sebastopol, CA.

Another spectacular place to check out is Jenner which is on the coast where the Russian river flows into the Pacific ocean. There is a restaurant there with amazing views and food to match called River's End, I highly recommend making a reservation for sunset dinner by the windows a few weeks in advance.

p.s. this is a shot taken with our old Canon P&S from the deck of River's End. I am sure you will do better with your skill and gear should you make the trip.

http://www.ilovesunsets.com/

anyways I will look forward to the photos you take as Northern California holds a special place in my heart, if only they had lower taxes like your Texas and my NH I'd consider living there.
Attached Images

Last edited by ramcewan; Aug 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4

Great suggestions. We're going to take a look at where we want to add this into our itinerary. Thank you.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:58 PM   #5

FWIW, and like I need another bag, UPS by way of B&H Photo delivered the Mirrorless Mover 30i bag today.

Neat little bag. I was able to easily transfer the E-M5 with 17mm f1.8 mounted, 12mm f2, 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 after moving the dividers around a little bit, with plenty of extra room for "stuff". It will easily also hold the same camera with the 12-50, 9-18 and 75-300 zoom outfit. I'll post some images later tonight.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:46 AM   #6

When you have a Saturday morning yard sale I want to know, your bag inventory must be 2nd only to AC.

The 30i is a great looking bag, I looked here http://tinyurl.com/k7ddzkd to see what it looks like and now have a pretty good idea from these images.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
FWIW, and like I need another bag, UPS by way of B&H Photo delivered the Mirrorless Mover 30i bag today.

Neat little bag. I was able to easily transfer the E-M5 with 17mm f1.8 mounted, 12mm f2, 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 after moving the dividers around a little bit, with plenty of extra room for "stuff". It will easily also hold the same camera with the 12-50, 9-18 and 75-300 zoom outfit. I'll post some images later tonight.

Good to keep in mind. I've found several bags that would be great if it weren't for the VF2. It's a great viewfinder but sure dues negate a lot of the other advantages of the PENs.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:01 PM   #8

I ran out of time to post those images last night....maybe tonight instead

Yes, the accessory finder can create some issues, but this bag would work fine. The E-P3 and VF-2 will fit in the same spot as the E-M5, with the camera sitting on it's base with a mounted 17/1.8 + hood fitted, with room left for the 12, 45 and 75.

I will use the space designated for an ipad for other "stuff", like my iPhone, wallet, etc.