Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Default new (to me) olympus 45mm

Just got this lens and am kicking the tires on it. It's everything as advertised (though I'm still getting used to the length, I always want it to be wider or longer). I felt awkward using it but when I got it back to the "lab," the shots looked amazing.

Anyhow, got lots of good shots in downtown Pittsburgh the other day. Still going over them and this one isn't the best one by far (not everything is in focus because it's wide open) but I thought it was fun. Just a partial shot of the skyline at f 1.8 followed by the same exact shot only as out of focus as I could make it.

I'll post some more later if you all aren't sick me me posting shots of the Pittsburgh skyline yet.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Aug 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #2

The 45 is, one sharp lens. A few weeks ago I processed a couple of files I captured from atop Rockefeller Plaza in February of Central Park with the 45/1.8 and it's incredible the detail it resolves. It's not as sexy a lens to use as the 75mm f1.8 or 60mm f2.8, but it's darn sharp and does not take any room in the bag.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:15 AM   #3

congrats on the new to you lens. I like both but really like the second one with the abstract bokeh generated colors.

The 45 is a great lens and just wait till you start using it in low light! I took the 45 out with me to my daughter's birthday party at a Teppanyaki restaurant and was able to get some pretty decent portrait shots in very low light.

It is a truly impressive lens once you figure out when it is best for.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:21 PM   #4

....y'all are enticing me

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:52 PM   #5

photodump of other images i liked that day. The ones you see from the same basic vantage point are from my seat at the Pirates game at PNC park that night.

Mr Rogers statue:

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Aug 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: smaller pictures for easier viewing
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:06 AM   #6

"Portrait" with the 45.

Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
"Portrait" with the 45.
Yes these are awesome and really highlight the capability and prime use of this lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
....y'all are enticing me
Bob - I can almost hear your wallet opening now!

Factory reconditioned from Olympus @ $319
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outl...nditioned.html

Or I would personally go for the one from Cameta Auctions also @ $319 which includes a 1 year warranty (Olympus only gives 30days)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-M-Zu...item53fc341859
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:23 PM   #8

Those are very nice shots with excellent color saturation and razor sharp detail. Was the first pic of the suspension bridge taken from the ball park?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Those are very nice shots with excellent color saturation and razor sharp detail. Was the first pic of the suspension bridge taken from the ball park?

Thanks.

And yes, those were from my seats in fairly deep right field. There are actually three identical bridges lined up right next to each other that you have a pretty good view of from there. Since the park opened, the 6th street bridge (appropriately renamed the "Roberto Clemente Bridge") is closed every gameday for people to walk over the river from the city to the game. It's become a pretty neat and firmly-entrenched tradition here in just the decade or so the new park has been open. It feels like it's been that way "forever."

Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:20 PM   #10

PNC and Camden Yards are my two favorite retro stadium designs of the past 20 years. They are what SHOULD have been built in the late 60's/early 70's. What the hell people were thinking 40-45 years ago I'll never know.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote