Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:04 AM   #1

Default coastal Maine

Just got back from a few days in Coastal Maine Boothbay region. All shots taken with the 14-54 MK II which is clearly becoming a favorite.

One night we watched the sunset off the tip Newagen, ME on Cape Harbor (14mm)

Cape Harbor sunset by ramcewan, on Flickr

A little ways out from the Harbor sits Cockolds Light, a (now) solar powered light house (54mm)

HDR

Cuckolds Light HDR by ramcewan, on Flickr

non-hdr

Cuckolds Light by ramcewan, on Flickr

We also did a kayak trip down the Sheepscot river/salt harbor which gave me my first opportunity to use my Ewa-Marine U-AXP100 waterproof case

P8121937 by ramcewan, on Flickr

a really nice clipper (I didn't see a name)

P8121959 by ramcewan, on Flickr

P8121954 by ramcewan, on Flickr

we paddled out to Ram's Island a small rocky island which is public for day use

Ram's Island by ramcewan, on Flickr

Ram's Island by ramcewan, on Flickr

On the Island I saw this Osprey and wished I had the 70-300mm

Osprey on Ram's Island by ramcewan, on Flickr

Osprey on Ram's Island by ramcewan, on Flickr

on the way back we went past Trevet's Country store which is well known for it's lobster rolls.

Trevet Country Store by ramcewan, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:11 AM   #2

I really like the HDR shot, but the process seems to have compounded the noise in the sky a bit. It was well done without being over-the-top though. I've seen an osprey at a lake in my neck of the woods (mostly this is bald eagle territory) but never that close.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:28 AM   #3

I can see why the 14-54 is becoming a favorite. Could hardly be any sharper. Looks like a beautiful place. You have more guts than me totting your outfit in the canoe/kayak .
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4

thanks sammy - I agree, the hdr I find to be nice and dramatic but the noise is noticeable as is some vignetting. It wasn't true hdr anyways since it was just a single frame in RAW that I brought into the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I can see why the 14-54 is becoming a favorite. Could hardly be any sharper. Looks like a beautiful place. You have more guts than me totting your outfit in the canoe/kayak .
Well I had the camera with the 14-54 MK II mounted inside this water proof housing. I bought mine from Adorama's auction seller on ebay for under $40 which was pretty amazing considering it is about 10x that retail. It's rated to go under but I'm not that brave. I will say it did well at keeping the camera nice and dry from the few splashes it got. The only problem I had was I got some sunscreen on the optical glass piece in front of the lens which is visible as a soft area on some of the shots like the clipper. (The shots on the island were outside the case btw)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Housing.html
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:40 PM   #5

Really nice series of shots. Looks like some beautiful country up there. Well done.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:28 PM   #6

Yep, the 14-54 is a good one, I've used mine for going on 7-yrs. The 'splash' protector is interesting too but I'm with Greg here.

Great photos, thanks for showing them.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:43 AM   #7

I really like the light falling on the lighthouse and prefer the non-HDR treatment. It is a wonderfully scenic part of the world.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Yep, the 14-54 is a good one, I've used mine for going on 7-yrs. The 'splash' protector is interesting too but I'm with Greg here.

Great photos, thanks for showing them.
Thanks Bob - the 14-54 is a great package for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
I really like the light falling on the lighthouse and prefer the non-HDR treatment. It is a wonderfully scenic part of the world.
Thanks MacBook, I have trouble picking between the HDR and non-HDR, the HDR is more in line with the saturation of color I remember but the detail in the non-HDR is very nice, unable decide I shared both
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:36 PM   #9

Really nice shots Ramce and I agree with you, the 14-54 is my fave lens as well. It has to be, other than the 35mm macro, it's my only lens. One of these days I'll scrape some money up to get a used 70-300. That would be one of the lenses most useful to me.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:56 PM   #10

Love these captures, reminds me why my wife and I need to do a holiday in this region rather than continuing on up to PEI.
Will be curious to see if the "new" 12-40mm m.zuiko will challenge your 14-54
And on a non-photo subject, you mention Lobster Rolls. A tasty treat to be sure. But you need to sample a Lobster Clubhouse -- usually not on the menu. Just give the waitress/waiter your most charming smile, order a clubhouse, have them replace the turkey with lobster. Makes a sandwich fit for a King!
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote