Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 1, 2013, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Late Afternoon Reflections

Captured with the E-M5 and the Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:34 PM   #2

........SHARP?? These are ridiculous, didn't know you have the Pan 12-35, I might want one with the M1 if my 14-54 looks too big. lol

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:21 PM   #3

Made the mistake of going to Arlington Camera and asking them to show it to me. I'd been reading about it and thinking "I'm going to wait and get the Olympus model", then starting thinking about some upcoming chances to use such a lens and how long it could be before the 12-40 M. Zuiko was not only for sale, but easily obtainable. Cha-ching, and the deal is done.

Same thing may happen in a couple of months with the 35-100 f2.8 Panasonic. It's just as sharp from what I could tell in the shop.

I've been putting it through the paces, shooting against the light to see how it handles high contrast and there is some CA, but the one-click CA correction tool handles it easily. I run the files through PTLens to correct what distortions are not being corrected automatically, and there are some. It's small (tiny actually) for an f2.8 zoom, and no doubt the smallness resulted in some design decisions that created the need to give it a nudge in processing, but it resolves the heck out of whatever the sensor captures alright.

Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:06 AM   #4

....I see your car, it looks like you had the park to your self. Lots of shadows out there and all looks great.

43Rumors mentions the M1 packages coming with the 12-50 or 12-40. I am not opposed to buying a 12-40 set because I have been thinking 12-50 all along.

However, other than lens size I really want to find out how my 14-54 will do, especially because the only real reason for me to have the M1 is to fit my 3 or 4 FT lenses to it.

Decisions, decisions and Gill @ AC will be no help, he is a Nikon guy, the Johnsons are too nice to be sales 'pushy' and it goes on and on.

We still are putting $$$$ to the remodel here and it seems now that Bonnie has it going she's finishing off with some pizazz.

This is now for sale and I want it too......... I need to get a job if I'm getting the M1.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:14 AM   #5

Wow, I've not seen you drive up in THAT car....sweet.

There's something falling from the sky right now. Not sure what it is, it's been so long, but I may have to test the weather sealing today.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:48 AM   #6

Quote:
I may have to test the weather sealing today
....looks to be a fun day to take the 'weather resistant' stuff out.

The car, it is the only one I've seen this year that I would like having but I would need to rent storage cuz my two now are all I can garage.

BTW, I've switched my Smugmug pages to the new SM system.... kinda fun to do. I made some simple code (not mine) changes to give a smoother look and presentation but keeping the old theme.

At some time SM will do away with the old system so I changed right away.....

http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:32 PM   #7

Nice looking page. I initially did not wait long enough and clicked on the Facebook link. Since I'm one of the five people in the world dedicated to never using Facebook, I cancelled out.

Guess I'm going to have to reconfigure my Smugmug page.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:46 AM   #8

The E-M5 and 12-35mm f2.8 Panasonic handled a decent rain yesterday at the Arboretum just fine. Rained for probably the first 25 minutes and then started drying out but the clouds (thankfully) never lifted. The overcast was very much welcome.

The lens is superbly made. The zoom ring action is ultra-buttery smooth. Zoom is not internal, but the lens barrel does not even hint at wobbling when it extends out. Solid as a rock. Didn't try any manual focusing but the ring is extremely well dampened. Feels excellent. The only thing I found myself doing was, turning the zoom ring in the "wrong" direction since Panasonic's focal lengths go in the opposite direction of Olympus zoom lenses.

The 20-35 optically seems every bit as good as the 12-17-25 prime combination other than the obvious 1-2 stop maximum aperture difference.

1/20 second. I used the in-camera IS system of the E-M5 instead of the Mega OIS in the lens.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:18 PM   #9

These shots look great, and really sharp corner o corner when blown up on the site. Are these handheld?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:30 PM   #10

Thanks! Yes, all handheld. There was one shot where I tried a waterfall with the lens zoomed to 35mm at a 1/10 second shutter speed where I noticed enough blurriness in the surrounding rocks and branches due to camera shake I deleted it. 1/20 second was about my floor yesterday, and only when the wind was not blowing. There were some short periods of time of complete stillness. Otherwise I tried keeping the shutter speeds up so the leaves would not be moving due to the wind.