Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:47 AM   #11

[I started with the C7070 (still I use it quite often) then an E-300 (I too use it once in a while; the E-300 feels better in my hand then any of my other Olympus'). Next was the E-3 (which is my goto when I want to be sure) and followed with an E-P3 (the camera I use for everything most all the time and with my FT lenses).

BUTTT! I will most likely have an E-M1, because my next camera will very likely be my last camera (I am now aged closer to 80-yrs than to 70-yrs) and if I decide the M1 will be it and my few FT lenses will work with the M1 as expected then I intend to have the M1.

I just read ( http://tinyurl.com/p5zv44y ), it is encouraging toward the M1. There will, of course, be other reviews but I will not bother with the general observations seen on the forums in making my decision, although certain ones will be taken with some seriousness.

When Arlington Camera (my local store) has the M1 in stock and I take my 9-18, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, EX-25 and maybe a couple more pieces to the store, spend a while holding and using the camera, that then will be my deciding time for the camera........ the lenses, maybe a 12-50 refurb later, certainly not a 12-40 nor a prime lens set.

I am excited for the possibility of having the camera.......... and Bonnie thinks it is a decent trade-off to having this 1938 Master Deluxe (which I want to own & it is for sale).

I will be happy with an M1, my want is to make this photo better then with the E-P3 & FT 9-18. I suspect 'better' will be the package handling and how the 9-18 focusing performs.... I'll bet on both being better.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:11 AM   #12

Good trade off Bob

Sitting on the side.....for now. The E-M5 is the first camera in a while I've had that's so good I'm not in all that much a hurry to replace. I will eventually move to either the E-M1 or the E-M6, or whatever name it is they give the direct successor to the E-M5, but a lot of people will have an E-M1 before I do, including Bob almost certainly.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
... My wish is that the EM-5 will come down in price, now that this new camera body has been released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
That's what I'm hoping too. I don't need every new thing but I really would like and EM5 if a deal can be had. Primarily I'm kind of tired of the big bulky viewfinder on my PEN.

I am with you guys on that, I love my E-PL2 but the EM-5 has enough improvement that I can really see it making some shots easier and allowing more low light and poor weather shooting. I also have a kid who is interested in a new camera for x-mas... maybe my E-PL2 will find it's way into her hands although I am tempted to hold it for a backup and just get her a E-PL3 or something like that as damn they are cheap (I saw one for $219 with kit the other day!)

The OM-D EM-5 is already $899 new and $719 factory refurbished so it has come down some, I'm hopeful for x-mas we will see it's successor announced and after x-mas sales will have it closer to $600 refurb which I will jump on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
[I started with the C7070 (still I use it quite often) then an E-300 (I too use it once in a while; the E-300 feels better in my hand then any of my other Olympus'). Next was the E-3 (which is my goto when I want to be sure) and followed with an E-P3 (the camera I use for everything most all the time and with my FT lenses).

BUTTT! I will most likely have an E-M1, because my next camera will very likely be my last camera (I am now aged closer to 80-yrs than to 70-yrs) and if I decide the M1 will be it and my few FT lenses will work with the M1 as expected then I intend to have the M1.

I just read ( http://tinyurl.com/p5zv44y ), it is encouraging toward the M1. There will, of course, be other reviews but I will not bother with the general observations seen on the forums in making my decision, although certain ones will be taken with some seriousness.

When Arlington Camera (my local store) has the M1 in stock and I take my 9-18, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, EX-25 and maybe a couple more pieces to the store, spend a while holding and using the camera, that then will be my deciding time for the camera........ the lenses, maybe a 12-50 refurb later, certainly not a 12-40 nor a prime lens set.

I am excited for the possibility of having the camera.......... and Bonnie thinks it is a decent trade-off to having this 1938 Master Delux (which I want to own & it is for sale).

I will be happy with an M1, my want is to make this photo better then with the E-P3 & FT 9-18. I suspect 'better' will be the package handling and how the 9-18 focusing performs.... I'll bet on both being better.

Bob I think you've waiting long enough and I expect you'll walk out of Arlington with an M1, it will be a wise decision for sure.

For me the only thing I keep mulling over, since I feel the next camera I buy should be one to keep for a while is whether to wait for the M5 successor or just get the M5.

I really like the WiFi feature on the P5 and M1 but I think in the end I can live without it. I don't have the stable of FT glass you have, however I wonder how much of an improvement the PDAF will be for the CDAF compatible glass I have. We will see I suppose as the reviews come out I am sure they will compare AF from the M5 to the M1 and that will give me a sense if I really need it.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:27 AM   #14

An interesting point of view on the OM-D EM-1 by Thom Hogan, a user of an EM-5
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...-the-e-m5.html

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:41 AM   #15

It looks like a significantly better built camera, which Thom obviously is playing down when he says bigger/heavier as a bad thing, and his comment about them only having higher-end lenses in the pipeline is a little silly when they already have such a huge group of consumer-oriented glass in the line.

He's a DSLR guy who complements that with the Olympus equipment, so smaller is always going to be better than anything bigger like the E-M1. Olympus already has plenty out there for that type with the Pens, E-M5 and all the tiny primes. The E-M1 is for those who have made this THE system to shoot with and Thom, well, he's not that guy.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:49 AM   #16

Again, if you've not read Ming Thien's hands on then I encourage reading his review(s). He is a PEN user as well as dSLR and weighs the M1 to both type systems.

http://tinyurl.com/p5zv44y maybe I am a little biased but when someone is an assignment photography professional world wide and also a degreed physicist having spent through Oxford University by age 16 then I find all that supportive to an intelligent discussion.......... (just me)

I do read Thom Hogan too, I also agree with Greg's view.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:25 AM   #17

Bob - Ming's write-up is a good read. IQ for m4/3 is really going to be more than "good enough" for many shooters. In fact, the advantage aps-c would have will be very small. Focus performance - the on-chip pdaf is promising. His note about it being on-par with d200 focus performance is interesting. That's still the weakest link given we're a couple generations past d200 level focusing. So, we still probably need a couple generations to catch up with what current aps-c dslrs are doing. But, I suspect that will happen.

This really looks like an exciting camera. I hope it really does well in the market. And, I think Oly is smart to focus fully on m4/3 going forward. Put all it's effort into making this technology work better. I'm really stoked for the idea of having a more portable option in the future. And glad to see Oly pushing things forward with this camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:31 AM   #18

It is a beautiful camera and the AF system much better than the OM-D, what I really like of this new model is the handle, very useful and necessary sometimes in my OM-D
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:23 AM   #19

Bob, I don't know how much you could even improve on the car shot. I definitely would like to see an A/B if you get that new camera.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:32 AM   #20

....referencing AF speed & accuracy of the M1, John said,

Quote:
"So, we still probably need a couple generations to catch up with what current aps-c dslrs are doing. But, I suspect that will happen."
I too suspect going forward that OM-D enhancements will bring the Oly m43 system to secure and accepted levels for all users.

But! As I said in my previous post....... I've no years to wait and I am believing the M1 will be just perfect to my 'ergonomic liking' meaning the 'in-hand feeling and function-keys layout.'

Too, for what I do now with 99.99% of all my subjects 'static' AF will be just fine after using my P3 for the past couple year with FT lenses.

As for image IQ ....... no question that I will be satisfied (hopefully others will also be satisfied with my photos quality).

There are becoming some interesting reviews of the M1 so it is careful time which and to whom one trusts for the writeups. We all have our trusts and not-so-trusty authors, I believe it is a must to read the not-so-trusty as well.

So, I need to call Gil and ask him if pre-order might include the grip FREE, that could also be enticing. Already the MMF-3 will be rebated by end of year 2013. Getting antsy here..........

About 2-hrs ago 'demolition' of the master bath begun here..... Bonnie is committed so it is the '38 chevy or a dozen M1s with grips, converters, 12-40s, her choice & my decision (I will settle for just 1 M1).

boBBrennan.smugmug.com