Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:11 AM   #1

Default well, it's here - OM-D EM-1

Adorama just announced the new micro pro flagship from Olympus.
And, I guess it's in stock.

Also of interest is the 12-40 f2.8 pro lens that has been released alongside the new camera body.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:38 AM   #2

Yes it sure is and it appears to be a real nice piece of gear, ticking all the major check boxes we expected with the best of the E-P5 and OM-D;

1/8000 shutter
ISO 100
WiFi with remote view/control
dust/splash/freeze proof

and probably the biggest of all on chip PDAF which makes it fully compatible with the full line of Four Thirds lenses.

I know they still say a E-7 is coming but gosh if I were an owner of a bunch of Four Thirds glass I think I'd jump right on this with the free MMF-3 weather sealed adapter you'd have one really nice kit.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:51 AM   #3

I believe the targeted shipping date will be the beginning of October.
- 16.28 million pixel LiveMOS sensor with 37 phase detection pixels
- “DUAL FAST AF” hybrid autofocus (hybrid means contrast and phase detection AF).
- Greatly improve the tracking performance of the C-AF
- 6.5 frames / 10 frames with fixed exposure.
- 200-25600, LOW ISO range (ISO100 equivalent)
- The shutter speed -1/8000 seconds up to 60 seconds
- New TruePicVII Image processing engine
- Adopt image processing technology “Fine detail II”, magnification chromatic aberration correction, Moire Reduction
- EVF is 0.029 seconds time lag, High magnification 2.36 million dots of 0.74 times 35mm conversion,
- touch panel LCD monitor 1.04 million dot 3.0-inch, movable,
- 5-axis camera shake correction
- Video Full HD (1920×1080 30p, 24Mbps)
- -10 ℃ Low-temperature performance dustproof drip-proof,
- Wi-Fi Built-in
- Dimensions: 130.4 x 93.5 x 63.1mm
- Weight: 497g (including battery media), 443g (body only)
- Kit with 12-50mm will ship in early October and 12-40mm kit in late Ocotber

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Yes it sure is and it appears to be a real nice piece of gear, ticking all the major check boxes we expected with the best of the E-P5 and OM-D;

1/8000 shutter
ISO 100
WiFi with remote view/control
dust/splash/freeze proof

and probably the biggest of all on chip PDAF which makes it fully compatible with the full line of Four Thirds lenses.

I know they still say a E-7 is coming but gosh if I were an owner of a bunch of Four Thirds glass I think I'd jump right on this with the free MMF-3 weather sealed adapter you'd have one really nice kit.
Some one will have to jump in my wallet and fatten it up quite a bit.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:18 PM   #5

I'm to a point now where I like to read about new camera technology but also to the point where I am going to keep what I have. A new camera with all the bells and whistles is not going to make me a better photographer for sure. What I have now is more than capable of producing gorgeous images if it is placed in the right hands. And if I ever had a windfall of cash (will not happen), I likely would not stop at the OM-D E1, but put the brakes on with the Nikon D800. Seems to me that I was spending more time hustling money for a different camera that I was taking pictures. First the Canon 40D with three lenses, then the EPL-2 with three lenses and now the E-3 with two lenses. It's time to stop and concentrate on taking pictures and be humiliated with the editing software.

Last edited by James Emory; Sep 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I'm to a point now where I like to read about new camera technology but also to the point where I am going to keep what I have. A new camera with all the bells and whistles is not going to make me a better photographer for sure. What I have now is more than capable of producing gorgeous images if it is placed in the right hands. And if I ever had a windfall of cash (will not happen), I likely would not stop at the OM-D E1, but put the brakes on with the Nikon D800. Seems to me that I was spending more time hustling money for a different camera that I was taking pictures. First the Canon 40D with three lenses, then the EPL-2 with three lenses and now the E-3 with two lenses. It's time to stop and concentrate on taking pictures and be humiliated with the editing software.
Yep, I can relate to that. I like to look at the newest cameras, just like I always look at the new cars every year, even though I'm not buying. I'm also at the point where I am extremely satisfied with my E-3 and the lenses that I have. I have no plans to purchase a newer camera for years to come.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:57 PM   #7

...hmmmm, I am

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:21 PM   #8

Going to be silly for a moment
We first had the OM-D EM-5. Now we have the OM-D EM-1. Was the EM-5 the version 0.5 beta and this new one is the official v1.0 release? Will the next future version be the OM-D EM-X a la apple and their OS naming conventions
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Yep, I can relate to that as well.

My continued interest in what is happening with Olympus and their continued improvements goes back to 2004 when I bought my first Olympus digital camera- the C-5060. For me, it was a great starter and soon I got hooked into upgrading with each new iteration. The E-500 soon was upgraded to the E-510, then I jumped to the E-30 also got an EP-1, then an added an Ep-2. Along the way, I amassed a fairly long list of legacy lenses which I still enjoy using with the E-P2.

It's not that a new camera will replace the Nikon D600 that I now use for my more serious shooting, it's just fun to use a smaller camera (E-P2) with my older lenses sometimes. Especially when I'm traveling or don't want to lug a big camera around. My wish is that the EM-5 will come down in price, now that this new camera body has been released.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
My wish is that the EM-5 will come down in price, now that this new camera body has been released.
That's what I'm hoping too. I don't need every new thing but I really would like and EM5 if a deal can be had. Primarily I'm kind of tired of the big bulky viewfinder on my PEN.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote