Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:58 AM   #11

Wow, what a beautiful place and great shots, you did a great job balancing the highlights and shadows.

I will be in San Francisco the last week of November and your pictures gave me the inspiration to go there... thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:09 PM   #12

Greg - great set and really enjoyable to view.

Of the first set I really like number 4 of the roots, it looks to me like a thousand souls intertwined in a writhing mass reaching up from the earth, just really cool composition. Also 7 captures those long rays really well and number 11 gives an enchanted feeling to the woods.

Of the second set 2 and 3 are really nice compositions of light, I like 5 for the twisting bark of the tree, but gosh it is just not possible to get wide enough to capture the whole thing, might be worth trying a panorama? Number 7 gets real close to the whole tree perspective and has a nice dizzying feel to it, looks a little HDR-ish around the where the sky is visible between the foliage, that or a longer exposure with some wind blowing.

Thanks for sharing and glad the trip is going well.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:16 PM   #13

Beautiful Scenery with Beautiful shots Greg

VERY Nice
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:59 PM   #14

This last shot of the trunks of these sequoias is fantastic. Really putting your 9-18mm to good use. Nice composition.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:49 PM   #15

Super series Greg. Excellent job in capturing stunning images of the big giants.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2014, 6:17 PM   #16

Greg, I'll be in San Francisco the last week of March and I planing to visit Muir Woods, any advice of other places to visit close to it?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:59 PM   #17

Hi Marcello. I'm jealous, great place.

When you go to the Muir Woods, go early, or late. We tried in the morning around 9:30-10am and the lot was already overflowing. Went back later in the evening after 3pm and it was perfect. Almost empty. Mount Tamalpais is a cool place to see and right there at the Muir Woods.

Drive Highway 1 between Stinson Beach and Muir Woods. Not all that long a distance, but beautiful vistas. There is a large marshy area called Bolinas Lagoon north of Stinson Beach that is a bird lovers paradise. If Katherine had not been there with me I woulda spent 2-3 hours there. Highway 1 hugs its' shoreline for quite a ways.

If you have a chance to grab a meal at The Cliffhouse or, better, Sunday Brunch, highly recommended. There's also a cool shoreline walk from the Cliffhouse around the Sutro Bath ruins that rounds a corner to multiple beautiful views of the Golden Gate Bridge and surrounding area.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Mar 8, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:44 AM   #18

Definitely a creative mind at work. I like in the last one how the trees are vertical along the right edge and swing exactly 90 degrees to be horizontal along the top. Nice.

Another place to add to my "must see" list.
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Greg, I'll be in San Francisco the last week of March and I planing to visit Muir Woods, any advice of other places to visit close to it?
Marcelo - here's some travel ideas from when I went to San Francisco in '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post

If I could be so bold as to suggest spending the time and money to check out Armstrong Woods in Guerneville, CA not too far from Muir Woods. There is a guy who does horseback rides up into the redwoods there and it is a truly special experience.

http://www.redwoodhorses.com/

My wife and I did that and spent some time going through wine country after attending a cousin's wedding in Sebastopol, CA.

Another spectacular place to check out is Jenner which is on the coast where the Russian river flows into the Pacific ocean. There is a restaurant there with amazing views and food to match called River's End, I highly recommend making a reservation for sunset dinner by the windows a few weeks in advance.

p.s. this is a shot taken with our old Canon P&S from the deck of River's End. I am sure you will do better with your skill and gear should you make the trip.

http://www.ilovesunsets.com/

anyways I will look forward to the photos you take as Northern California holds a special place in my heart...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:33 PM   #20

Thank you Greg and Ramcewan for the great tips and info.

I'll post my pictures when I come back.

Marcelo