Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:46 PM   #1

Default Hanging Out Among The Giants

We visited Montgomery Woods State Park, Hendy Woods State Park and Muir Woods this past week while in the San Francisco area. Beautiful, awesome, gorgeous places that, quite honestly, pictures do not do justice, but here's a few where I tried a little with the E-M5.

Two different ways to take in the Muir Woods..

A little scale of things is definitely in order..

This is about how big you feel walking these parks..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2

Amazing,,,,, the trees & the photos. The M5 really shows off in the forest shadows doesn't it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:21 AM   #3

The E-M5 and Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 was the perfect combination for the light and not having to be constantly change between 2-3 primes.

Just updated my iPhone to the new version 7 operating system. Wow, what a change.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Just updated my iPhone to the new version 7 operating system. Wow, what a change.

I'm going to wait for a while...... maybe see it first. Response seems to be mixed for liking it or not. I've been so busy the change has passed me by!

I wish the new OS would fix an iPAD problem, now both my iPADS have go into 'NO SERVICE' mode for AT&T RF signal. Neither APPLE nor AT&T claim responsibility, now those iPADS (mine & all the others that have mysteriously done so) are useless but for WiFi. If APPLE would just say, '....sorry, out of warranty AND broken' or AT&T would at least acknowledge an awareness to the problem, well...... neither do so.

Anyway, raining today so that is a bright side to be thankful for.......... TTYL

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:35 AM   #5

The new OS is actually a pretty pleasant experience. I like what they did. The keyboard even seems improved. Less mis-typing as the keys look a little more spaced.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:33 AM   #6

We were at Muir Woods about 3 years ago and we loved it (especially me since I was hoping to stay there the entire day...). I am looking forward to go back

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:42 AM   #7

Nice shots Greg, very dramatic and great shadow detail with that combo.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
We were at Muir Woods about 3 years ago and we loved it (especially me since I was hoping to stay there the entire day...). I am looking forward to go back
If you do ever go back, the extra time driving to Montgomery Woods State Park is very much worth the effort. More huge trees, no having to stay on marked trails so you can walk up to anything, and there was only two other people we saw the entire time we were there. Developed enough you could see the direction to go and not get lost.

We went to Muir Woods in the morning and the parking lots were already overflowing, on a Tuesday of all days, so we went back late (after 3:30) and were able to park in the second closest spot to the front gate.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:32 PM   #9

Really wonderful shots of the forest. Remember being just so awed walking amongst the giants. You and the M5 have really captured the subtle light, the grand scale of these giants. Once upon a time I wanted to do the Avenue of the Giants marathon, thought running through these woods would really be something...
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:18 AM   #10

A few new images worked out today..

Hmmmm....how to even begin shooting this with an RX100, she said to herself...

I was looking for this type light all along the walk in Muir Woods as long as rays of sun were shinning through..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 21, 2013 at 1:12 AM.