Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:00 PM   #1

Default Fall experiments; trying out photoshop

So I took a shot, exposing for the sky in the first shot, and in the second, exposing for the trees.

I just got CS6 (Thanks Dartmouth) and processed these in the Camera Raw, messing around with the shadows, highlights, whites, vibrance, and saturation.
Its my first time using the raw part of the program, so any advice would be great.

Also Greg, what was the site where you had the Om-D presets that I can plug into the program? I remember there was a profile a few months back that you recommended.

For sky:

Exposed for trees:

One other random shot with probably a bit too much vibrance added in.

drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:01 PM   #2

Oh yeah, these were taken with the Panasonic 25.
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:09 PM   #3

Those look nice Drew.

I don't have photoshop and I don't have an EM5, but I'm using a profile from these guys:
http://www.colorfidelity.com/

The profiles look nice (to me), and the price was low enough that it's probably worth taking a flier on. When you add the profile you can choose whether you want it to have low, standard or high impact on the image color and go from there. I think it makes for a good "starting point" for getting color and contrast into the RAW files. I'm assuming Camera Raw and LR tweaking are moreorless the same process.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; Sep 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:02 PM   #4

The best presets I have used are from the guy at huelight..

http://www.colorfidelity.com/

I loaded another one that was free. Let me find the site tonight. The main difference between it and the ones above, is the free one has over-the-top, almost Velvia-like greens, and it's a little more contrasty. The $10 you'd pay the guy at huelight gets you three profiles, standard, high and low contrast. I use the standard profile almost exclusively. I don't particularly like the Adobe default profile they apply when you open the E-M5 raw files. These profiles improve things quite a bit before you do anything else.

I can also give you the settings I use in ACR, at least as a starting point if you like, with some additional notes as to when I deviate from them.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:25 PM   #5

Here it is..

http://www.ephotozine.com/downloads/...ofiles-448/p-1

The one titled LB Glass Optic Daylight.

BTW, beautiful colors up there. The last one is my favorite.

Greg
Old Sep 26, 2013, 7:47 AM   #6

I wish http://www.colorfidelity.com/ had one for the E3.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I wish http://www.colorfidelity.com/ had one for the E3.
How different are their files from the E5? It might still be a good start.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
How different are their files from the E5? It might still be a good start.
The E5 has a higher MP sensor. Other than that I really do not know.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:13 PM   #9

The way the profiles work, you might not see the E5 profile when opening an E3 raw file in adobe camera raw. I own two sets of the huelight profiles, for the E-P3 and E-M5. When I open an E-M5 raw file in acr and go to the profiles tab the only profiles I see are the three for the E-M5. Likewise, on opening E-P3 raw files in acr I only see the three profiles for the E-P3, so it appears the profiles are somehow coded to only be available for raw files from that specific camera.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
The way the profiles work, you might not see the E5 profile when opening an E3 raw file in adobe camera raw. I own two sets of the huelight profiles, for the E-P3 and E-M5. When I open an E-M5 raw file in acr and go to the profiles tab the only profiles I see are the three for the E-M5. Likewise, on opening E-P3 raw files in acr I only see the three profiles for the E-P3, so it appears the profiles are somehow coded to only be available for raw files from that specific camera.
I guess I am barking up the wrong tree. I don't have and never will have a CS program. PE10 is intimidating enough for me. I need to get on my horse and get a book on PE10, like PE10 for dummies if they make such a thing.