Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,566
Default ....E-M1 review - USA Today

Quote:
Olympus' new flagship camera is geared for pros


....seen here ==> http://tinyurl.com/kwxlx2d


PS. It is supper time; I've not read the article yet.
__________________
.
boBBrennan .. FB=> http://tinyurl.com/dxlwxfz

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

The guy is definitely enthusiastic about it. This looks like a camera that's going to get a lot of attention. Thanks for the link.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Member
 
BarefootPilgrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Westchester, Illinois USA
Posts: 39
Default

That seems more like a puff-piece than a review, Bob. I'm sure it's a great camera, and, while I plan to grab an EM-1 in a few months -- unless I hear something is terribly wrong with it when actual users begin commenting -- I don't think I'd put too much stock into any "review" that appeared in USA Today.

Just my $.02.

But it is nice to see folks talking about Oly's m-43 system.
__________________
Peace,
-- Bob.
BarefootPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

Yes - If USA today was going to provide a review, it would be great if it was done by Robert Hanashiro or another photographer. The author of this piece is a staff writer for their review website. According to his linkedin resume he has no real photographic experience. So, while it's great to get some press, I'd take with a grain of salt any revue talking about tools for professionals when the reviewer has no relevant experience to base that opinion on.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,380
Default

No doubt it is a great camera but for that kind of money I'd rather invest in a used E-5 body and have money left and no adapter to buy for my lenses.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

James, E-M1 money should buy you both a used E-M5 and a used 12-60. KEH has a used E-M5 in what they call excellent condition, which in KEH-terms is probably close to spotless, with a warranty, For $889 and a 12-60 Zuiko in the same condition for $546.

The E-M5 at this point is past it in terms of being worth anywhere close to what it was selling for new. The E-M1 blows by any four-thirds body in terms of image quality and focus/operating speed. As a person who actually owned and used an E-5 for about a year, it's not the body I would be buying today, whether I was using Micro lenses or four-thirds lenses.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 402
Default

There are two OM-Ds on there for 695 and 665 in LN- condition or EX+. Didn't see the 12-60, Maybe it already is gone?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,380
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
James, E-M1 money should buy you both a used E-M5 and a used 12-60. KEH has a used E-M5 in what they call excellent condition, which in KEH-terms is probably close to spotless, with a warranty, For $889 and a 12-60 Zuiko in the same condition for $546.

The E-M5 at this point is past it in terms of being worth anywhere close to what it was selling for new. The E-M1 blows by any four-thirds body in terms of image quality and focus/operating speed. As a person who actually owned and used an E-5 for about a year, it's not the body I would be buying today, whether I was using Micro lenses or four-thirds lenses.
I do agree with you 100% Greg, but for what I do the E-3 is more than enough for me. I was just doing an analogy is all. I'm perfectly satisfied with the results I get with the E-3 so for me, investing more money to have the latest and greatest with any brand and model of camera is just not justifiable with my income. If moola was no object that would be a different story altogether and I would be ordering the M1 with a few lenses to boot. NOW, I need to find that guy that drives around on TV with all that money flying off of him.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I do agree with you 100% Greg, but for what I do the E-3 is more than enough for me. I was just doing an analogy is all. I'm perfectly satisfied with the results I get with the E-3 so for me, investing more money to have the latest and greatest with any brand and model of camera is just not justifiable with my income. If moola was no object that would be a different story altogether and I would be ordering the M1 with a few lenses to boot. NOW, I need to find that guy that drives around on TV with all that money flying off of him.
That's the guy alright All the beautiful ladies seem to find him.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
There are two OM-Ds on there for 695 and 665 in LN- condition or EX+. Didn't see the 12-60, Maybe it already is gone?
Here's where the 12-60's are..

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Dig...c=81097&r=WG&f
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.