Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:32 PM   #1

Default ....E-M1 review - USA Today

Quote:
Olympus' new flagship camera is geared for pros

....seen here ==> http://tinyurl.com/kwxlx2d

PS. It is supper time; I've not read the article yet.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Oct 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2

The guy is definitely enthusiastic about it. This looks like a camera that's going to get a lot of attention. Thanks for the link.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3

That seems more like a puff-piece than a review, Bob. I'm sure it's a great camera, and, while I plan to grab an EM-1 in a few months -- unless I hear something is terribly wrong with it when actual users begin commenting -- I don't think I'd put too much stock into any "review" that appeared in USA Today.

Just my $.02.

But it is nice to see folks talking about Oly's m-43 system.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:25 AM   #4

Yes - If USA today was going to provide a review, it would be great if it was done by Robert Hanashiro or another photographer. The author of this piece is a staff writer for their review website. According to his linkedin resume he has no real photographic experience. So, while it's great to get some press, I'd take with a grain of salt any revue talking about tools for professionals when the reviewer has no relevant experience to base that opinion on.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5

No doubt it is a great camera but for that kind of money I'd rather invest in a used E-5 body and have money left and no adapter to buy for my lenses.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:06 PM   #6

James, E-M1 money should buy you both a used E-M5 and a used 12-60. KEH has a used E-M5 in what they call excellent condition, which in KEH-terms is probably close to spotless, with a warranty, For $889 and a 12-60 Zuiko in the same condition for $546.

The E-M5 at this point is past it in terms of being worth anywhere close to what it was selling for new. The E-M1 blows by any four-thirds body in terms of image quality and focus/operating speed. As a person who actually owned and used an E-5 for about a year, it's not the body I would be buying today, whether I was using Micro lenses or four-thirds lenses.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:21 PM   #7

There are two OM-Ds on there for 695 and 665 in LN- condition or EX+. Didn't see the 12-60, Maybe it already is gone?
drew881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:47 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
James, E-M1 money should buy you both a used E-M5 and a used 12-60. KEH has a used E-M5 in what they call excellent condition, which in KEH-terms is probably close to spotless, with a warranty, For $889 and a 12-60 Zuiko in the same condition for $546.

The E-M5 at this point is past it in terms of being worth anywhere close to what it was selling for new. The E-M1 blows by any four-thirds body in terms of image quality and focus/operating speed. As a person who actually owned and used an E-5 for about a year, it's not the body I would be buying today, whether I was using Micro lenses or four-thirds lenses.
I do agree with you 100% Greg, but for what I do the E-3 is more than enough for me. I was just doing an analogy is all. I'm perfectly satisfied with the results I get with the E-3 so for me, investing more money to have the latest and greatest with any brand and model of camera is just not justifiable with my income. If moola was no object that would be a different story altogether and I would be ordering the M1 with a few lenses to boot. NOW, I need to find that guy that drives around on TV with all that money flying off of him.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I do agree with you 100% Greg, but for what I do the E-3 is more than enough for me. I was just doing an analogy is all. I'm perfectly satisfied with the results I get with the E-3 so for me, investing more money to have the latest and greatest with any brand and model of camera is just not justifiable with my income. If moola was no object that would be a different story altogether and I would be ordering the M1 with a few lenses to boot. NOW, I need to find that guy that drives around on TV with all that money flying off of him.
That's the guy alright All the beautiful ladies seem to find him.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew881 View Post
There are two OM-Ds on there for 695 and 665 in LN- condition or EX+. Didn't see the 12-60, Maybe it already is gone?
Here's where the 12-60's are..

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Dig...c=81097&r=WG&f